Oct 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Despite an excellent rookie season in which he won 15 games with a 3.06 ERA and 169 strikeouts in 173 innings Shelby Miller has been a forgotten man for the Cardinals in the playoffs, as St. Louis shifted him to the bullpen in favor of Joe Kelly/Lance Lynn and has used him just once as a reliever.
Miller’s role seems unlikely to change in the World Series, but the 22-year-old right-hander is trying to stay ready just in case he’s needed for something beyond mop-up work against the Red Sox.
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Miller threw two innings in a simulated game at Busch Stadium yesterday, and afterward manager Mike Matheny said:
The idea for Shelby and the conversation with Shelby from day one is that he could have an expanded role at any point. He needs to stay sharp. … We need Shelby to stay sharp in his mind, because at any point, we might need him to come and fill a number of different roles. He looked good today, and we were excited to see that.
It’s a testament to the Cardinals’ pitching depth that an arm as good and successful as Miller’s hasn’t even been needed in the playoffs, but it’ll be interesting to see how he looks if Matheny is forced into using him in a key spot at some point. Miller’s last start was September 25.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)