Oct 21, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Twice already the Dodgers were said to be signing 26-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, first in July and then in September. Both times it was reportedly a $32 million contract and both times the deal never got completed.
Now they’ll try for a third time, as Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Guerrero and the Dodgers have agreed to a four-year, $28 million deal … worth up to $32 million in potential value.
Guerrero played mostly shortstop in Cuba, but many teams apparently view him as more of a second baseman and taking over for Mark Ellis there next season makes sense with the Dodgers. He was considered one of the best all-around players in Cuba and, much like they did with Yasiel Puig, the Dodgers are making good use of their huge revenue and payroll advantage by spending in one of the few places where spending on international players isn’t capped by MLB.
This is probably bad news for Robinson Cano, as it takes the Dodgers out of the market (or even the hypothetical market) for a stud second baseman, although Magic Johnson made it pretty clear last month that Cano wasn’t likely to wind up in Los Angeles anyway.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)