Oct 21, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Twice already the Dodgers were said to be signing 26-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, first in July and then in September. Both times it was reportedly a $32 million contract and both times the deal never got completed.
Now they’ll try for a third time, as Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Guerrero and the Dodgers have agreed to a four-year, $28 million deal … worth up to $32 million in potential value.
Guerrero played mostly shortstop in Cuba, but many teams apparently view him as more of a second baseman and taking over for Mark Ellis there next season makes sense with the Dodgers. He was considered one of the best all-around players in Cuba and, much like they did with Yasiel Puig, the Dodgers are making good use of their huge revenue and payroll advantage by spending in one of the few places where spending on international players isn’t capped by MLB.
This is probably bad news for Robinson Cano, as it takes the Dodgers out of the market (or even the hypothetical market) for a stud second baseman, although Magic Johnson made it pretty clear last month that Cano wasn’t likely to wind up in Los Angeles anyway.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)