Oct 21, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Twice already the Dodgers were said to be signing 26-year-old Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, first in July and then in September. Both times it was reportedly a $32 million contract and both times the deal never got completed.
Now they’ll try for a third time, as Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Guerrero and the Dodgers have agreed to a four-year, $28 million deal … worth up to $32 million in potential value.
Guerrero played mostly shortstop in Cuba, but many teams apparently view him as more of a second baseman and taking over for Mark Ellis there next season makes sense with the Dodgers. He was considered one of the best all-around players in Cuba and, much like they did with Yasiel Puig, the Dodgers are making good use of their huge revenue and payroll advantage by spending in one of the few places where spending on international players isn’t capped by MLB.
This is probably bad news for Robinson Cano, as it takes the Dodgers out of the market (or even the hypothetical market) for a stud second baseman, although Magic Johnson made it pretty clear last month that Cano wasn’t likely to wind up in Los Angeles anyway.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 4
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)