MLB is breaking out the big guns for Game 1 anthem

Oct 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EST

OK, so she doesn’t have anything to do with Boston, but Mary J. Blige is great and she’s singing the National Anthem for Game 1 at Fenway Park on Wednesday night. What, you wanted another reality show contestant?

MJB is one of the all-time great voices and just an all-around badass for like 20 years now. For instance, here’s Mary J. and Method Man dueting from 1995 (NSFW, probably):

I was 12 when I first heard that song. I miss my childhood.

1. jarathen - Oct 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

She is very good at singing.

2. proudlycanadian - Oct 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM

If she has a bad ass as claimed by Aaron, I hope that it is not shown on TV.

3. Anoesis - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Saw “big guns” in headline, notice attractive woman’s pic, thought “those aren’t big guns, more like small arms.” Realized I need to cut back visiting certain other web sites.

• cohnjusack - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Fucking-Awful-Jokes.com?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I’ve seen a lot of things on the internet being fucked.

But not even sure how one would go about fucking an awful joke.

Or even a good joke for that matter.

4. piscataquis007 - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I just hope she doesn’t come in and crap it up. No one wants to hear how loud you can scream or how many runs you can fit into the Star Spangled Banner. Just sing the song the way it is written, it’s supposed to be honoring the country, not the performer.

5. gothapotamus90210 - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Fact: armband tattoos on women are disgusting.

• paperlions - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

You are right. Please tell us what all women should look like and how they should act so we know when to be disgusted and when to be approving.

Personally, I need your guidance, as I would have erred and said that MJB is awesome.

• gothapotamus90210 - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It’s quite masculine looking, if you’re into that …

• nategearhart - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Putting “fact” before you spout an opinion doesn’t make it a fact.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

That one is dying for a “PRO TIP:” prefix.

6. rickdobrydney - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Right —-just sing the damn thing—straight, the way it should be. It’s not “I Will Always Love You” , it is the United States National Anthem. Treat it with respect, not a 3 act play. Trouble is, practically no one does anymore. I will skip it. Most times these days, when some sad singer walks out to call attention to themselves and “sing” the anthem, I leave the room. I am sure this time will be no different.

• eightyraw - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It’s not a three act play, but it is a song with 4 stanzas.

7. eightyraw - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Now that this man has some free time on his hands, he should be booked for game 2

“I don’t think Marvin Gaye’s worried”

• proudlycanadian - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I doubt that the late Mr. Marvin Gaye is worried about anything.

8. Francisco (FC) - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Too bad they can’t bring Enrico Palazzo anymore.

9. eagles512 - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

She’s annoying

10. indaburg - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Love that song. I miss the 90s.

11. mgv38 - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

If her middle initial were “L,” her selection would make more sense.

12. wallio - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Oh course, because when I think of the World Series, I think of hip hop……

• eightyraw - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Oh because she is black her music is hip-hop?

• paperlions - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Apparently, R&B, soul, gospel, hip hop are all the same. You see, those are all synonyms for music wallio doesn’t listen to.

• nategearhart - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

The national anthem is hip hop?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I was going to say “I wish this was about her singing at the Super Bowl so I could go over to PFT and get a nice mix of racism and misogyny”….

Thanks for at filling one of my desires.

13. kevinbnyc - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Glad to hear Ms. Kunis left enough room in your heart for one more, Aaron.

14. raynman49 - Oct 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM

What was that?? Yeah, I’m old. I think they should play a taped version by Kate Smith. At least it would be sung the proper way.

15. sometimesimisscandlestick - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Wait – I’m confused. The series is being broadcast by Fox. I thought that it was a requirement for a Fox performer (Idol/X-Factor/tv series regular) to sing the anthem for games 1 – 4..

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

She got her start on Star Search.

16. bh0673 - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Personally I don’t give a ratsass who is singing the National Anthem, if MLB thinks that having her or anyone else singing the Star Spangle Banner will make people tune in then they need to wake up. I watch the World Series for the game, this isn’t the Super Bowl and this isn’t a half time show.
    On a personal note I was hoping the Dodgers would have been in not really excited about watching Boston and I am pretty much neutral about the Cardinals so may not tune in till the later innings anyway. Hard to watch Boston in it as a Yankee fan but my hats off to Boston fans, makes up for last year.

17. wpjohnson - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Why do we need these Hollywood-type lizards? I say go with actual talent. Go with classical singers. Baseball needs to display class instead of the crap put forth by the NFL on Super Bowl Sunday.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I agree.

Also, baseball caps are meant to be worn forward and pants are to be belted AT THE WAIST. Not the hips. Not the buttocks. Not BELOW the buttocks. AT. THE. WAIST.

Now if you’ll excuse me, a character on television just said the a-word and I need to write a letter to the FCC.

18. mrlaloosh - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I’m sure she’ll be the only Afican-American in Fenway that isn’t playing in the game. After all, it is Boston.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

That would be very odd considering neither team has any African Americans on their active roster.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you don’t actually watch much baseball.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4672)
  2. M. Kemp (3720)
  3. M. Cabrera (2919)
  4. J. Kang (2723)
  5. M. Morse (2607)
  1. J. Upton (2600)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2265)
  3. A. Rios (2261)