Quote of the Day: Daniel Nava, Jonny Gomes, and ice cream

Oct 21, 2013, 8:53 PM EST

Jonny Gomes has started over Daniel Nava in left field for four out of the last six games and Red Sox manager John Farrell indicated to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald earlier today that he’ll likely stick with the same arrangement for Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday. However, that isn’t getting Nava down. In fact, he sympathizes with Farrell’s conundrum:

I don’t know about you, but I think this ice cream has hair in it.

1. aceshigh11 - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Nava’s an awesome guy. Great story too.

First pitch he ever saw in the Majors at age 27, he hit a grand slam.

• veraarnold - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Do you like acting as inhibited as you are at work in your own house, and having future work evaluations reflect how well you entertain as well as how well you do your job?
      Then by all means invite people from the office. you would like to try at least once,
      I assure you will know the meaning of success….. ℬ­­­­A­­­­ℛ­­­1­­­7­­­.Ⅽ­­­­­O­­­­­­Ⅿ

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Aces, his first at bat really holds a special place in my heart. I was driving down Interstate 45 towards Houston for a wedding I was exponentially late for, as I was nearing Madisonville I had the game on the XM radio and I will never forget Dave O’Brien’s introduction of Daniel Nava and his special, special story…next thing you know,you hear O’Brien go absolute batshit crazy as Nava hit a rope into the bullpen off Joe Blanton. Needless to say, I was swerving endlessly off of the highway as I equally was going batshit crazy. Ahh, the joys of being a care-free 20 year old and listening to baseball history unfold before my very ears.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

And considering Nava’s first at-bat was in 2010, you’re currently a care-free 23 year old, right? ;)

Just teasing…I’m 35 but I would love to get even 5-10 years back. Enjoy those years ‘cuz they go insanely fast.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM

No, no, Aces. Don’t get it “twisted”. I am a very mature 24 year old man. I turned 24 a whopping five weeks ago..I’ve hit a turning point in my life.

Who am I kidding? I’m a 24 year old beer loving male who lives in San Antonio and is loving every minute of living in a city more than 14,000 people and getting the opportunity of living on my own and making a name for myself.

Cheers, my friends. Here’s to hopefully a great World Series.

• KR - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

At the time I thought, he may never hit another home run but what a fantastic moment. Then he indeed didn’t hit another HR that year, and disappeared into the minors the next year, and I thought that was it.

The fact that he came back in such a strong way — 5th in the AL in OBP this year(!), and top ten in batting average for what that’s worth — is even better. Everyone always underestimates him and he keeps rising to the occasion.

2. pastabelly - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Sox are 6-0 in playoff games Gomes starts. Maybe it’s a coincidence. Maybe not.

• Glenn - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Not.

I love Gomes, but Nava is a slightly better fielder and a whole lot better hitter against righties. The Nava-Gomes platoon worked all year. Why abandon it now? Farrell’s mistakes haven’t really cost the Sox yet, but there is little room for error against the Cards.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

You KNOW it’s the beard.

Forget sabermetrics, RBI totals, team chemistry, Eckstein-style grit, or EVEN the will to win…it’s the GOD. DAMNED. BEARD.

3. wilkisoft - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

And THAT IS the biggest difference between this years roster and last year. They are a “team”, not a bunch of individuals.

4. apkyletexas - Oct 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Yasiel Puig should have gotten the “quote of the day” on Friday night:

“The ball hit the ground and skidded a little bit,” Puig said. “It hit my glove. I couldn’t hold onto it. Molina ended up getting to second base. I wish he wouldn’t have gotten there, but errors are part of the game.”

“but errors are part of the game”? I can see the manager saying that – I don’t think a player should have that attitude.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4537)