Oct 21, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
It came as no surprise when Red Sox manager John Farrell announced this afternoon that Jon Lester will start Game 1 of the World Series against the Cardinals on Wednesday, but there could be a change in store for Game 2.
While Clay Buchholz started Game 2 of the ALCS against the Tigers, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com writes that “all indications are” the Red Sox will go with John Lackey for Game 2 of the Fall Classic. Lackey started Game 2 during the ALDS against the Rays, but he was pushed back to Game 3 for the ALCS.
Lackey tossed 6 2/3 scoreless innings in his ALCS start and has thrived at Fenway Park all season, so it’s understandable why Farrell is considering switching things up. The Cardinals haven’t made their Game 2 starter official yet either, but NLCS MVP Michael Wacha is expected to get the call.
- In progress: Mike Minor working on a no-hitter against the Reds 2
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 210
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (210)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)