Red Sox expected to go with John Lackey in Game 2 of World Series

Oct 21, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT

John Lackey Getty Getty Images

It came as no surprise when Red Sox manager John Farrell announced this afternoon that Jon Lester will start Game 1 of the World Series against the Cardinals on Wednesday, but there could be a change in store for Game 2.

While Clay Buchholz started Game 2 of the ALCS against the Tigers, Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com writes that “all indications are” the Red Sox will go with John Lackey for Game 2 of the Fall Classic. Lackey started Game 2 during the ALDS against the Rays, but he was pushed back to Game 3 for the ALCS.

Lackey tossed 6 2/3 scoreless innings in his ALCS start and has thrived at Fenway Park all season, so it’s understandable why Farrell is considering switching things up. The Cardinals haven’t made their Game 2 starter official yet either, but NLCS MVP Michael Wacha is expected to get the call.

1. veraarnold - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Do you like acting as inhibited as you are at work in your own house, and having future work evaluations reflect how well you entertain as well as how well you do your job?
    Then by all means invite people from the office. you would like to try at least once, I assure you will know the meaning of success….. ℬ­­­­A­­­­ℛ­­­1­­­7­­­.Ⅽ­­­­­O­­­­­­Ⅿ

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Go to hell.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I do like the nonsensical things you say in the first sentence.

I feel they make up the essence of who I am as a person.

I feel like you want to help me improve on these things I already like about myself, but you haven’t given me enough information to pursue.

2. pastabelly - Oct 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Buccholz seems to get gassed by the 6th inning since coming back from the injury. Going to Lackey seems like the right move.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Maybe it’s just not enough consistency….but I never say “Oh, this game is in the bag” when he starts. I’m actually usually surprised by how low his ERA is.

And he’s been pretty unimpressive so far in the postseason. Not to discount his long absence, but whatever the reason he’s felt shaky.

3. aceshigh11 - Oct 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Hey, why not?

Lackey has been ACES (oops) this postseason. Anyone who can go toe to toe with Verlander pitch-for-pitch and emerge victorious has ice water in his veins.

Buchholz, on the other hand, appears to have the nervous system of a chipmunk when it comes to the playoffs: constantly worried, darting eyes, looking over his shoulder, only seconds away from running away in terror.

• KR - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Favorite twitter comment from the other day was “Bruins just scored two goals in the time it took Buchholz to throw one pitch”.

He’s always been a little skittish on the mound with baserunners — I seem to remember he was always trying that fake-to-third-throw-to-first move that never works (though I also remember that he actually did catch somebody or other once) — but for these playoffs it seems like it’s at another level.

4. evanpenn - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Mr Farrell,
    Please install Uehara as the starter for games 1 through 4.
    Cardinals 108 up, 108 down, series over. ^____^