Oct 21, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
The Reds will go in-house to replace Dusty Baker, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that pitching coach Bryan Price is expected to be named as manager tomorrow. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer are hearing the same.
While there were rumblings about Hall of Famer Barry Larkin, former Nationals manager Jim Riggleman, and Cubs third base coach David Bell being candidates for the job, Price was always considered the favorite. Regarded as one of the best pitching coaches in the game, he has been with the Reds since 2010 and previously held the same position with the Mariners (2000-2005) and Diamondbacks (2006-2009). Rosenthal reports that Price was also a candidate for the Mariners’ managerial vacancy.
The Reds could be in for big changes this winter with Shin-Soo Choo and Bronson Arroyo hitting free agency and Brandon Phillips reportedly on the trading block, but Price will inherit a very talented team for his first managerial gig.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)