Oct 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Remember last month when general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said the Phillies were thinking about hiring a statistical analyst to help the front office? Well, today he told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that they’ve almost settled on someone.
According to Zolecki the MLB commissioner’s office has aided the Phillies in their search, which is interesting.
And of course hiring a stat-head won’t mean much unless the Phillies a) hire a good stat-head, and b) actually listen to him or at least give him a strong voice in decision-making. Based on Amaro’s initial comments about the topic last month the latter seems unlikely, but Phillies fans can hope.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40