Oct 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Remember last month when general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said the Phillies were thinking about hiring a statistical analyst to help the front office? Well, today he told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that they’ve almost settled on someone.
According to Zolecki the MLB commissioner’s office has aided the Phillies in their search, which is interesting.
And of course hiring a stat-head won’t mean much unless the Phillies a) hire a good stat-head, and b) actually listen to him or at least give him a strong voice in decision-making. Based on Amaro’s initial comments about the topic last month the latter seems unlikely, but Phillies fans can hope.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)