Oct 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Remember last month when general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said the Phillies were thinking about hiring a statistical analyst to help the front office? Well, today he told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that they’ve almost settled on someone.
According to Zolecki the MLB commissioner’s office has aided the Phillies in their search, which is interesting.
And of course hiring a stat-head won’t mean much unless the Phillies a) hire a good stat-head, and b) actually listen to him or at least give him a strong voice in decision-making. Based on Amaro’s initial comments about the topic last month the latter seems unlikely, but Phillies fans can hope.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)