Soon the Phillies will have a stat-head

Oct 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Remember last month when general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said the Phillies were thinking about hiring a statistical analyst to help the front office? Well, today he told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that they’ve almost settled on someone.

According to Zolecki the MLB commissioner’s office has aided the Phillies in their search, which is interesting.

And of course hiring a stat-head won’t mean much unless the Phillies a) hire a good stat-head, and b) actually listen to him or at least give him a strong voice in decision-making. Based on Amaro’s initial comments about the topic last month the latter seems unlikely, but Phillies fans can hope.

1. cktai - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I dread the possibility that RAJ realized that RBI’s and Pitcher Wins are also “stats” which can be “analysed”.

2. commonsenseisnotcmonman - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Fire RAJ, hire the stathead!

3. tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

They hired some good baseball players too, and mostly fucked that up.

So, you know….I’m sure this will go well too.

4. tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m going to put in an application actually.

I’ll just explain to RAJ this newfangled stat “runs produced” and why it is superior to RBI.

Baby steps.

5. davidpom50 - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I hope this goes like when Amaro heard he needed to get more Young guys for the team before last season…

6. paperlions - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

They needed the help of the commissioner’s office in their search?

Where did they look, the local High School Science fair?

In a day when most teams have entire analytical departments and have long been developing their own proprietary analytical approach…this is just very very sad.

• spudchukar - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

The Phillies don’t need an expensive analytical department. They just need someone who can count to 40.

• paperlions - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I can do that…if they would let me work from home and pay for travel to games, I’d apply. Alas, I haven’t received any calls from MLB’s commissioner’s office.

• spudchukar - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I know the silence is deafening and maddening. Don’t they know what they are missing?

7. yousuxxors - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

how does this guy have a job?

8. toodrunktotastethischicken - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Jonah Hill! Jonah Hill!

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

FAT JONAH HILL!

Skinny Jonah Hill looks weird.

Like skinny John Lackey.

9. bizzmoneyb - Oct 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I’m still available!!!

10. thesportsguru7 - Oct 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Can the Phillies hire Sam Hinkie from the Sixers?! He’s already 10x the GM Amaro will ever be.

• ryanrockzzz - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I am also fine with Brett Brown managing, and the entire Sixers roster in an open competition to see who can play RF and be the 5th starter..Chances are they will be better than someone Amaro signs.

11. kellyb9 - Oct 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The Phillies are so behind on player evaluation it’s ridiculous. I understand that some people haven’t fully bought into the “numbers game”, but if I was a GM, I would take any measurable advantage I can get to field a successful team. I’m not quite sure how Amaro still has a job.

12. unclemosesgreen - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Give them a break – it’s hard to find someone smart enough to use new stats who is simultaeously stupid enough to work for RAJ where his or her fact-based opinions will be ignored.

13. Jonny 5 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Also about 30 days from signing a HUGE TV deal. Not Dodger huge, but what can you say?

• stex52 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Hey Jonny. I hope it works out better than the Astros’ cable deal has.

14. thehobbit7 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Only 30 years after Bill James first started publishing. Way to be a trend-setter Phillies!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3308)