Oct 22, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
In what could be the final sports blunder of his administration, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told reporters on Tuesday morning he hoped the Boston Red Sox would win “the World Series Cup.”
It’s presumed Menino was referencing the Commissioner’s Trophy, which will be awarded to the winner of the upcoming World Series between the Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Over the summer, the Boston Bruins played for the Stanley Cup, the top prize in hockey.
The ESPN Boston story chronicles Menino’s other sports blunders.
Politicians: please limit your involvement with sports to novelty bets involving famous local foodstuffs, etc. Thanks!
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 32
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)