Oct 22, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
In what could be the final sports blunder of his administration, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told reporters on Tuesday morning he hoped the Boston Red Sox would win “the World Series Cup.”
It’s presumed Menino was referencing the Commissioner’s Trophy, which will be awarded to the winner of the upcoming World Series between the Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Over the summer, the Boston Bruins played for the Stanley Cup, the top prize in hockey.
The ESPN Boston story chronicles Menino’s other sports blunders.
Politicians: please limit your involvement with sports to novelty bets involving famous local foodstuffs, etc. Thanks!
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)