Oct 22, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
In what could be the final sports blunder of his administration, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told reporters on Tuesday morning he hoped the Boston Red Sox would win “the World Series Cup.”
It’s presumed Menino was referencing the Commissioner’s Trophy, which will be awarded to the winner of the upcoming World Series between the Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Over the summer, the Boston Bruins played for the Stanley Cup, the top prize in hockey.
The ESPN Boston story chronicles Menino’s other sports blunders.
Politicians: please limit your involvement with sports to novelty bets involving famous local foodstuffs, etc. Thanks!
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)