Oct 22, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
In what could be the final sports blunder of his administration, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told reporters on Tuesday morning he hoped the Boston Red Sox would win “the World Series Cup.”
It’s presumed Menino was referencing the Commissioner’s Trophy, which will be awarded to the winner of the upcoming World Series between the Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Over the summer, the Boston Bruins played for the Stanley Cup, the top prize in hockey.
The ESPN Boston story chronicles Menino’s other sports blunders.
Politicians: please limit your involvement with sports to novelty bets involving famous local foodstuffs, etc. Thanks!
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)