Oct 22, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
In what could be the final sports blunder of his administration, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told reporters on Tuesday morning he hoped the Boston Red Sox would win “the World Series Cup.”
It’s presumed Menino was referencing the Commissioner’s Trophy, which will be awarded to the winner of the upcoming World Series between the Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals. Over the summer, the Boston Bruins played for the Stanley Cup, the top prize in hockey.
The ESPN Boston story chronicles Menino’s other sports blunders.
Politicians: please limit your involvement with sports to novelty bets involving famous local foodstuffs, etc. Thanks!
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)