Oct 22, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
Cincinnati officially announced that Bryan Price will replace Dusty Baker as manager, which is interesting because he served as pitching coach under Baker for the past four seasons.
One issue where Baker and Price disagreed was how to utilize Aroldis Chapman. Price repeatedly indicated that he wanted to give Chapman an opportunity to start, preferring to use him in a 200-inning role instead of a 60-inning role, but Baker balked at that idea and stuck with the left-hander as a dominant closer.
Now that Price is in charge, might he give Chapman that chance in the rotation after all? It’s probably a tougher decision now than it was last year or even this spring, because Chapman is another season removed from starting regularly–he last did it as a minor leaguer in 2010–and has another season of excellent relief work under his belt, saving 38 games with a 2.54 ERA and nearly 16 strikeouts per nine innings.
But as Price moves into the big chair what do with Chapman is definitely one of his most important decisions.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)