Oct 22, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Don Mattingly and the Dodgers appear headed for some sort of confrontation with one season remaining on his contract, but in the meantime Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that bench coach Trey Hillman has been fired.
Hillman joined Mattingly’s staff in 2011 after being fired as Royals manager following a 152-207 (.423) record in two-plus seasons in Kansas City.
Shaikin recently wrote an article in which he noted that “Mattingly handpicked him for the Dodgers’ coaching staff” in 2011 and “Hillman and Mattingly usually share a ride to Dodger Stadium” as “carpool mates.”
So presumably this wasn’t Mattingly’s doing, in which case the tension in Los Angeles may have just increased even further.
UPDATE: Molly Knight of ESPN.com describes Mattingly and Hillman as “best friends.” This could get ugly.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)