Dom Brown responds to Philly fans angry that he roots for the Cowboys

Oct 22, 2013, 1:35 PM EST

domonic brown getty Getty Images

Over the weekend Domonic Brown enraged a bunch of Philly fans when he tweeted out pro-Cowboys messages and pics before the Eagles-Cowboys game.  Today he went on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia to address this silly controversy. Brown:

I was just posting a pic. I grew up a Cowboys fan […] I’m not changing my NFL team because I play in Philadelphia … That’s the Philly love, though. That’s the reason why I love the city… because the fans are so passionate.

The whole interview can be heard here.

I just think this is the silliest thing. The same fans who — quite admirably, I’ll note — would never ever fail to root for their team no matter how hostile the environment they found themselves in are upset that a guy is sticking with his fan allegiance. As if these guys, if transferred to an office in New York, would suddenly become Mets fans or something out of some weird obligation to support local teams, no matter what.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Who cares who anyone roots for? This is so stupid. I root for the teams I root for, you root for the teams you root for. How is it of any importance to anyone else? This isn’t medieval times where the side that won received extra food that week.

• fatheruburu - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I could go for some “extra food” right about now! haha

2. philswfc08 - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Finally agree with Craig on something…this is so stupid, he should remain a fan of who he rooted for growing up, anything else is a violation.

• liamj55 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

If he was from the Dallas area the would more legitimacy……….

• liamj55 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

EDIT – Spent a key part of his life in Chicago. Sorry for the mistake.

• indaburg - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

He can root for whichever team he wants to root for period. It makes no difference whether or not he grew up with the team. If he wants to root for the Green Bay Packers, the NY Giants, or the Timbuktu Squirrels naked wearing a grass skirt while playing the bongos, it’s not anyone’s business and he owes no one an explanation. Just worry about what Brown does for you when he has that Phillies uniform on.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Be honest… you actually PICTURED Dom in that grass skirt didn’t you?

• indaburg - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

;-) Uh huh.

3. chadjones27 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

No worries. He used the word, “passionate.” Phillies fans like that almost as much as they like the home team.

4. righthandofjustice - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

OK… So Obama is only allowed to root for a Washington team or else he should go back to Kenya?

• liamj55 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Obama roots for the White Sox, Bears, Bulls because he was raised in Chicago. Obama keeps it real in that regards as a matter of fact.

• righthandofjustice - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

There you go… By the same token, Dom Brown is allowed to root for the ‘boys.

• jwbiii - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Obama didn’t move to Chicago until after he finished law school. He grew up in Hawaii with a few years in Indonesia. Have you ever read the sports section from a Hawaiian newspaper? They don’t follow teams as much as players from Hawaii. Here’s the Honolulu Star Advertiser. The link to the daily Shane Victorino piece is down a bit on the right.

If the A’s were World Series bound, there would be frequent Kurt Suzuki articles. I imagine that Kolten Wong is getting some ink also, just not today.

If Obama had been a baseball fan growing up, and I have seen no evidence that he was, he would have been reading about Mike Lum or Sid Fernandez.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I thought he was raised in Hawaii?

• Reflex - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Lots of us grew up in areas without professional sports teams. Most of us either followed the sport as a whole rather than specific teams, or picked a team later as an adult, often the local team for wherever we moved. I fall into the former category, Obama into the latter.

I don’t see why that’s an issue, or why it implies Obama was not a fan growing up. I certainly was, and I didn’t grow up with a home team to root for besides the local single A affiliate.

• racksie - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Regard and regards are two completely different words. You were so close. Nice try though…

5. blacksables - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Not sure if it still happens or not, but all the Ford plants use to have two parking lots. One right next to the plant for those employees who drove vehicles, and another one farther away for those who didn’t.

Many banks require their employees to have their accounts at that bank. Most telecommunications companies require their employees to have their phone service with the company.

No one is expecting him to change allegiances, but a little common sense on the matter wouldn’t hurt him.

• Alex K - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The difference in your analogies and the situation at hand is the Cowboys aren’t anything like a direct competitor of the Phillies.

• dan1111 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Yes, it is reasonable to expect loyalty to an employer. But that only means he shouldn’t root for other baseball teams. It has nothing to do with football.

• blacksables - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

It’s not about a particular sport. It’s about a city. Why is that so hard to understand?

• cohnjusack - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

It’s hard to understand because it’s deeeeply stupid.

• nategearhart - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

If it’s about the city, then your analogies are irrelevant because they pertain to competition, not other cities. If it’s not about the city, then your analogies are bad because the Cowboys aren’t competing against the Phillies.

• cohnjusack - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

First off, just because those companies did those things doesn’t make it right. I personally don’t approve of an employer attempting to dictate the livelihood of their employees outside of work. I provide skills to help your company in return for a salary for my work. Done and done!

Secondly, Dominic Brown doesn’t work for the Eagles.

Thirdly, it’s sports. This is just stupid.

• Reflex - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

As someone who once worked for AT&T, I call bullshit. I kept my local phone through Qwest and my cell phone through Verizon the entire time I worked there, I missed out on some employee discounts but oh well most of my friends were on VZ so it woulda cost me more to switch due to free calling between people on the same network.

I also worked for Microsoft and guess what? Lots of people there use Macs and iPhones! And nobody cares. A friend of mine has been at Chrysler for decades. He drives Chrysler vehicles but plenty of his co-workers do not. Its no big deal. Maybe in the 60’s it would have been, but these days the automakers share most of the same suppliers so you really aren’t driving that different of a vehicle regardless of what you drive. Nobody cares.

I’ve also never heard of a bank requiring its employees to have an account at that bank. My cousin works in banking and she has her own account with her own credit union she’s had since she was a teenager.

I think you are just making this up as you go along. And as mentioned before, Dom doesn’t work for the Eagles anyways, which makes the argument idiotic.

• blacksables - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I’ll let my brother, ex-wife, and best friend know that you consider them to be liars.

Since one works at a bank where this happens, and the other two work for global communications company with the same situation.

But it obviously couldn’t be true since it doesn’t happen to you, and the world doesn’t exist outside your range of vision.

• Reflex - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Alternately, your brother, ex wife and best friend work with some very strange, cult-like companies that are the exception and not the rule. I’ve worked for a LOT of firms, I have never encountered that. Most people I know would quit rather than be told what they can do like that.

And you haven’t addressed the fact that the Eagles do not employ Dom, which makes your whole statement idiotic.

6. Francisco (FC) - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

If anything Dom Brown is showing commitment!

7. sandrafluke2012 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

ANyone that roots for a team when you were born in another city(with a team) is a loser.

• nategearhart - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Hmm, nope, people can do pretty much whatever they want, long as they’re not hurting anybody.

• cohnjusack - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

*Rolls eyes while making jerkoff motion with hand*

• sandrafluke2012 - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Says the Yankees, Cowboys, Bulls, Red Wings fan

• cohnjusack - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Actually, I’m a Cardinals fan, I haven’t followed football since I was 10 and Jim Harbaugh quarterbacked for the Bears, haven’t ever really followed basketball and have never-ever watched a hockey game in my life.

• yahmule - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

GFY

• indaburg - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Trolling business good today?

8. fatheruburu - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

He admitted to being a Cowboys fan since childhood. If that’s really true that in itself is admirable because people change team allegiances all the time.

9. jpash42 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think people got fired up cause he’s not even from Texas!!! So he’s a suspect fan and then he’s shoving it down Phillys throat. He needed to use a lil common sense…you wouldn’t see Chase Utley doing that. I also think Dom Brown is a lil thin skinned…he needs to improve in that area (along w/ his outfield play) to make it in Philly.

• righthandofjustice - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Chase Utley got phat contracts better than even Pedrioia’s then, now and the future. Dom Brown got peanuts from the Phillies and was almost traded away for an aged Soriano.

If Brown was tendered a $75 million contract the service of his next 5 years in Philly he might wear a different cap or even a Phanatic suit.

Note: I don’t mean Brown worths $15 million a year now.

• raysfan1 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM

One’s hometown is only one reason for fandom. For all either of us know, he may have seen Emmitt Smith on TV as a kid, fell in love with how he played, and thus became a lifelong Cowboys fan. That does not make him any less a Cowboys fan than someone who lives in Dallas and has season tickets.

Regardless, the common sense that needs to be exercised is that nobody should care who someone else roots for or why.

• nategearhart - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Philadelphians should get their throats out of Dom Brown’s twitter.

10. smnick - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Under most circumstances, there is a direct correlation between sports fandom and civic and/or school pride. Before the rise of broadcast media (specifically television), most sports fans rooted for the local franchises in their respectable sport, with the possible exception of Notre Dame Football, America’s First America’s Team. With that area allegiance, it was an easy mechanism to identify with and have pride in. As a result, those sports rivalries that developed in turn became local rivalries, think: NY/Boston, Philly/Pittsburgh, LA/SF, Chicago/St.L, Texas/Oklahoma.

As a 4-for-4 Philly sports fan myself, that is how I developed my initial love of spectator sports and the ensuing civic pride it gave me. I’m a HUGE Dom Brown fan and will continue to be, but it’s that sense of local allegiance we have in our teams that we wish (albeit a pipe dream) were conveyed by the players we root for.

• chadjones27 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That sense of allegiance? For a professional athlete? They get traded all the time. They can’t keep changing their rooting interest for every city they get traded to. The only thing Dom did wrong was post publicly his rooting interest for a rival team of the city that he currently plays for, he should have known Philly sports fan couldn’t handle it.
      Think of it this way, a kid grows up a football fan (likes, let’s say, Cowboys. total example here) and then becomes an MLB player for a city that’s a football rival of the Cowboys (again, for example let’s say… oh, maybe, the Phillies). So, he’s supposed to change his football rooting interests? Why? Because a bunch of drunken strangers think that’s how it should be? Let’s say he then gets traded somewhere. Does he, then, have to start rooting for that city’s football team?
      Madness. Get over it.

11. cohnjusack - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

“The two most boring things to me are civic pride and civic rivalry. I’m from Boston, that’s a very divisive city. Somebody always goes ‘WOOO!’ and someone else always goes ‘BOOOO’, and I really want them both to fuck themselves and die”–Louis CK

• 18thstreet - Oct 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Louis CK is awesome! And he proves that Boston is awesome by being from there.

/s

• themuddychicken - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

WOOO!

12. tmatic74 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

More proof that people need to grow up and get a life. I thought this was America people!!!

• cohnjusack - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I don’t see how those two statements are meant to be opposites.

If you remember, this is a nation in which
      -4% believe we are controlled by the Lizard People.
      -13% believe Obama is, literally, the anti-Christ.
      -15% think George Bush crashed remote control airplanes into the World Trade Center as part of the most crackpot, nonsensical scheme ever devised to invade Iraq.
      -20% believe the Sun revolves around the Earth
      -25% think our President is secretly Kenyan and forged a ton of documents
      -29% believe in Bigfoot.
      -46% believe evolution is a hoax. Presumably, they also fail to understand dog breeding and assume Pugs occur in nature.

• yahmule - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Even scarier are the percentages of elected officials who hold those beliefs. The abstinence-only supporters and global warming deniers.

• indaburg - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Puig does so occur in nature. I saw him myself.

13. scoobies05 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

is thks really an kssue

14. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I have zero problem with him rooting for the Cowboys. That said:

A) he had to expect some backlash
    B) he is an idiot to get in the dirt on the backlash

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

15. flyinhighwithvick - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

What’s even sillier is that you can’t find anything better to write about.

• yahmule - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Flying real high with Vick, aren’t you?

• flyinhighwithvick - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Ever hear of sarcasm?

16. philsfan2013 - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Craig…nothing better to do than to troll the Phillies. Must be bored out of your mind now that Brave got knocked out in first round to Dodgers and the Falcons blow…come to Philly (where the passionate fan lives)

17. thebadguyswon - Oct 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

The Cowboys have a national fan base. Everyone knows that – its similar to the Packers, Steelers and Bears. Where Brown grew up is irrelevant. He grew up liking the Cowboys and its fantastic that he let the world know about it the same day the Boys spanked the Iggles. GO DOM BROWN!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5013)
  2. M. Kemp (3519)
  3. J. Kang (2730)
  4. J. Upton (2724)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2651)
  1. C. McGehee (2647)