Oct 22, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
The job isn’t as sexy as the openings in Washington and Detroit, but the Cubs manager job is up for grabs and today Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com handicaps some of the candidates with the help of an anonymous former GM who adds his thoughts.
Upshot, if you believe the GM views the world the same way Jed Hoyer and Theo Epstein do: sell short on A.J. Hinch, go long on Dave Martinez or Brad Ausmus.
I feel the same way about Ausmus, for what it’s worth. Seems like this would be a great job for a guy who many feel will one day be a fantastic manager but who just needs to cut his teeth a bit.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 0
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 84
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)