Oct 22, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
The job isn’t as sexy as the openings in Washington and Detroit, but the Cubs manager job is up for grabs and today Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com handicaps some of the candidates with the help of an anonymous former GM who adds his thoughts.
Upshot, if you believe the GM views the world the same way Jed Hoyer and Theo Epstein do: sell short on A.J. Hinch, go long on Dave Martinez or Brad Ausmus.
I feel the same way about Ausmus, for what it’s worth. Seems like this would be a great job for a guy who many feel will one day be a fantastic manager but who just needs to cut his teeth a bit.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)