Man says he bought a World Series ticket for $6

Oct 22, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Ticket

Deadspin has a story which should impress upon all of you the importance of good keyboarding skills and/or math and/or calendar awareness: It seems one of their readers hopped on StubHub looking for World Series tickets and found one for $3. He bought it, and after the service charges he has a ticket to Game 1 tomorrow night for six whole dollars.

I have to agree with Deadspin’s speculation: the seller screwed up when he entered the desired price of the ticket, either hitting enter too quickly, screwing up the decimals or something. Or maybe he’s suffering from some space-time phase-shift kind of situation and believes that the ticket was really for a weekday matinee against the Seattle Pilots in 1969. Seems like the most logical explanation, anyway.

So now we wait. For Deadspin or someone like them to find the huckleberry who just lost out on a chance to sell a World Series ticket for several hundred dollars.

1. dan1111 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Speaking of keyboarding skills: I thought this post was going to be about the biggest fixing scandal in, oh, about 94 years.

2. number42is1 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

seeing as how it was an E ticket how much do you want to bet that the seller will be getting there early enough to have the original scanned in and the buyer gets screwed ?

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I see what you are saying but I would hope that StubHub has protections in place that transfer the ticket with no “Backsies” allowed.

• Jason Lukehart - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

When you sell the ticket, the barcode changes, and the old one is no longer any good.

• number42is1 - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

that is incorrect as far as I can tell. earlier this year i sold 4 concert tix on stubhub to someone that it turned out used a stolen CC. After all the fighting (about 10 weeks worth) the sale was cancelled and there was not enough time to relist so i ended up using my original ones without issue.

• Jason Lukehart - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Interesting. I wonder if perhaps they just reinstated the original barcode. I’ve sold tickets for a game before, and been told my code would no longer work. I’ve never gone to the stadium to try and use them, but I guess I don’t know for certain that they don’t just TELL you they won’t work.

3. uwsptke - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Man, those service fees really get you. 100% of the ticket cost. Outrageous!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

It does guarantee a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant.

4. jrocknstuff - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM

If I was the guy lucky enough to buy it, I’d have turned right back around and re-sold it. Granted, I’ve already been to a couple world series games, but I don’t think I could pass up the opportunity to profit about $300 for 5 minutes work at the computer

• zzalapski - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

This is unusually coherent and topical for a get-rich-quick scheme, compared to the others that have been spamming these boards lately.

5. sechilds2013 - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Looking at the picture of a World Series ticket, I’d say the game is already over and it may be too late to use it.

6. jm91rs - Oct 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Is this a digital ticket? Years ago I bought on stubhub and the seller sent the hard tickets. I think if I were the seller that screwed that one up I’d return the money, keep the ticket and live with whatever consequences stub hub gives my account for failing to deliver.

7. hockeyflow33 - Oct 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Probably done on purpose by Stubhub, look at all the free advertising they’re getting out of it.

8. pipkin42 - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM

This is the second time recently I’ve read about “keyboarding.” The other was in Sylvan Barnet’s A Short Guide to Writing About Art (10th ed.). Then and now, I’m shocked that people still use that term instead of “typing.” Go figure.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2515)