Matt Harvey undergoes Tommy John surgery

Oct 22, 2013, 9:37 PM EST

matt harvey getty Getty Images

As planned, Mets right-hander Matt Harvey underwent Tommy John reconstructive surgery Tuesday on his pitching elbow. Dr. James Andrews performed the procedure at The Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine in Florida.

Harvey will miss the entire 2014 season but should be back near his old self come Opening Day 2015.

The 24-year-old from Connecticut has registered a spectacular 2.39 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 9.9 K/9 over his first 237 2/3 major league innings (36 starts).

Harvey will be arbitration-eligible for the first time heading into the 2016 campaign.

1. jpietrefesa - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Damn that sucks…..and I’m someone who loves to see the Mets fail. Tough break.

2. steelers88 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM

This is a shame.

3. chill1184 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM

See you in 2015 Harvey

4. mtr75 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM

As a lifelong Mets fan, I have to say this is about a low point for me. To have this guy to look forward to and to have possibly one of the best pitchers in MLB to lift our spirits was something we needed. This is about as a cruel a break as I could have imagined.

• thebadguyswon - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

As another Mets fan, I am certain that only one thing will truly lift our spirits…..death.

5. aceshigh11 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I’d like to hijack the comments section and discuss Qualcomm instead.

6. finswins - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Another Mets fan here. Shoot me please!! Hope he comes back good as new! People have gone on to have productive careers after that procedure. Pray for him, the Mets, and me!!!! LOL!

7. codyclement - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Reblogged this on THE QUARTERBACK and commented:
    You mean to tell me that rest and rehab didn’t work? I for one am totally shocked! Oh wait no I’m not. I called this when they first shut him down in August. Now Harvey is done for all of 2015 as opposed to most of 2015. While this may not mean much it still has to be a disappointment to Met fans who have already had so much to deal with.

8. stex52 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

He is a rare talent. I hope the surgery is 100% successful. And I am a big Mets non-fan. I look forward to seeing him pitch for many years, starting in 2015.

9. APBA Guy - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

He may not be entirely his old self in 2015. It took Wainwright most of 2012 to build his arm back into shape after his 2011 surgery. And Mr Anderson barely pitched in 2013 after TJ in 2011. It’s probably better to think of recovery as a range from 12 to 30 months, with full recovery somewhere in that range, and predicting the outcome in advance as purely a guess.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4463)