Oct 22, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
As planned, Mets right-hander Matt Harvey underwent Tommy John reconstructive surgery Tuesday on his pitching elbow. Dr. James Andrews performed the procedure at The Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine in Florida.
Harvey will miss the entire 2014 season but should be back near his old self come Opening Day 2015.
The 24-year-old from Connecticut has registered a spectacular 2.39 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 9.9 K/9 over his first 237 2/3 major league innings (36 starts).
Harvey will be arbitration-eligible for the first time heading into the 2016 campaign.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)