MLB’s first female trainer, Sue Falsone, resigns from Dodgers

Oct 22, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

sue falsone dodgers

Sue Falsone became the first female head trainer in the four major professional sports when she joined the Dodgers in 2011, but yesterday she announced via Twitter that she’s stepping down from the job:

It is with a heavy heart to say that I will not be returning to the LA Dodgers in order to pursue other opportunities within my career.

Falsone replaced Stan Conte as head trainer and Ramona Shelbourne of ESPN Los Angeles writes that she “was popular with the players and well-respected in the organization.” So it was clearly Falsone’s decision to resign from the gig.

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Glad to hear things worked out well with the Dodgers, but I’m curious what other opportunities she’s going to pursue. I don’t know a lot about being a sports trainer, but I’d think being the head trainer for a major franchise would be just about the pinnacle of the profession. Good luck to her, anyway.

• phillyboy20 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

As a fellow athletic trainer I can tell you it’s not. The NFL and NBA pay very well, unfortunately the rest of the major professional sports do not pay anywhere near as well; Many times ATs working in high schools make more money than those in collegiate sports and the MLB/NHL.

• bendover09 - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Does not pay very well ? Unless you have a major in computer science or some type of engineer field I’d be glad to take the income of a trainer. No one knows the exact pay bc all teams pay different. Starting out can be up to 40k .. another year 50k , steadily increases as the experience rises. Not bad for a two year degree . Not to mention the extra incentives you’ll receive

• phillyboy20 - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Yea its a four year degree and another two years for master’s degree and considering the travel and working 60-80 hours a week 40k is not that much considering…maybe you should educate yourself on the education of an athletic trainer

2. Caught Looking - Oct 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Her option vested and she decided to pursue other opportunities since she didn’t want to be a lame duck trainer.

3. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’m going to blame Puig since that’s chic right now.

• km9000 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Not unless he offers to toss her luggage in the trunk.

4. drewy44 - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Future Dodger hamstrings are grateful. This past year was a medical disaster.

5. Francisco (FC) - Oct 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I wonder if it had to do with the pool incident: “No, I am NOT going to jump in the pool with just my t-shirt on and I’m not buying your explanation that it’s a bonding experience.”

• kavika6 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:10 AM

She’s OK with gawking at the players in the showers but refuses to be seen in a wet t-shirt. Sounds like a typical healthcare woman.

6. righthandofjustice - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM

“To pursue other interests” means “for reasons she doesn’t want to specify”…

Perhaps she knows something from her job but she doesn’t want the burden of responsibilities by turning a blind eye.

7. thisdamnbox - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Next reality show star? They are in LA…

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM

She was home grown and that clearly goes against the Dodgers-buy-everything meme that’s running around these days.

Signed,
    The Best Fans In Baseball In St. Louis

• paperlions - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I feel like I should change my screen name to paperlions @ IIATCWS (It Is About The Cardinal Way Stupid).

• Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Approved.

9. sandrafluke2012 - Oct 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I think Magic Johnson tried to get with her

• maikoch - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

He missed out, then. I slept with her a couple of times, and it was quite good.

10. kavika6 - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I’m very happy she’s gone. Women don’t belong in mens’ locker rooms.

• fearlessleader - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Misogynists don’t belong in 2013.

• jacksprat57 - Dec 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

That’s right; also, men belong in women’s locker rooms! (What’s that you say?)

• fearlessleader - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

It took you two months to come up with that? :)

• sw19womble - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Hey, Don Cherry – shouldn’t you be working on one of your grandma’s old curtains for your new suit on Hockey Night in Canada?

11. dickclydesdale - Feb 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Worst trainer ever! Go back to cleaning the house!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate