TBS’ Ernie Johnson is one remarkable man

Oct 22, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT

Ernie Johnson

While it’s always good fall sport to mock the national baseball broadcasters, Ernie Johnson is almost always excluded from that. The reason: he’s actually pretty good and knows his stuff. I know he’s more notable for his basketball work, but he’s a good baseball broadcaster.

And he’s an even better man, as this profile by Dan Caesar of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch makes clear.

Back in 2011 Johnson missed his playoff assignments due to his son’s illness. Caesar tells the story behind all of that. Johnson’s son — who he and his wife adopted from a Romanian orphanage in 1991 — is on a ventilator and requires around-the-clock medical care. Care which Johnson and his family provide themselves at home. ┬áThe story talks about their son and the challenges and rewards of the entire situation. Listening to Johnson talk you conclude that, in his mind, the rewards outweigh the challenges by orders of magnitude.

Hats off to Ernie Johnson and his family. They sound amazing.

1. Gordon - Oct 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Always liked this guy. Does a great job on the NBA show. He’s also had some serious medical issues of his own. Great story.

2. butchhuskey - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Good to know that nice guys don’t always finish last.

3. eagles512 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Like Ernie in the studio but he’s not very good at play by play.

4. dlf9 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I grew up listening to Ernie Sr. calling Braves games. It is nice that Jr. is an exception to the nepotism picks in the broadcasting booth (yes, I’m point at you Chip Caray, Joe Buck — I’d add Thom Brennaman, but I don’t think Marty is any good either).

5. southpaw2k - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I recall reading details over Ernie’s adopted son a while back, which made me respect him all the more beyond his job at play-calling. He’s not nearly as well known as the likes of Joe Buck, Jon Miller, Dan Schulman, or Kenny Albert, but he’s arguably better than all of them at his job.

And that’s not even getting into how much I respect him as a man. Kudos and prayers, Ernie. You are an excellent example for the rest of us to aspire to.

6. neoshweaty - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I love his work on the NBA. He’s great. His work on MLB is pretty good too and it helped IMO that Ron Darling was with him to provide more of the technical knowledge and in depth insider perspective. (I’m also very biased for anyone in the mets booth since they are among the best teams in the bigs)

However, am I the only one who thought Cal Ripken was just terrible? Maybe it’s a lack of preparation as a team but he always seemed stilted and not particularly intelligent sounding.

7. normcash - Oct 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Truly a life well-led….

8. mtr75 - Oct 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM

God bless him.

9. hasbeen5 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Great story. I used to wonder why so many chose to adopt overseas until I realized the bureaucracy nightmare involved with adopting here. My wife and I have discussed fostering or adopting when our kids are older, and stories like these make me hope that we will be in a position to help someone.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3232)