Oct 22, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
John Hirschbeck will lead the umpiring crew for the World Series, Major League Baseball just announced. Joining him will be Dana DeMuth, Jim Joyce, Paul Emmel, Bill Miller and Mark Wegner.
Hirschbeck — who skews a bit pitcher friendly — was the crew chief for the All-Star Game too. During this past season he had a couple of minor run-ins with youngsters Yasiel Puig and Bryce Harper. Fortunately, though, there are no untamed horses or undisciplined kids in this year’s World Series who need to be reminded of their place.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)