Oct 22, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
John Hirschbeck will lead the umpiring crew for the World Series, Major League Baseball just announced. Joining him will be Dana DeMuth, Jim Joyce, Paul Emmel, Bill Miller and Mark Wegner.
Hirschbeck — who skews a bit pitcher friendly — was the crew chief for the All-Star Game too. During this past season he had a couple of minor run-ins with youngsters Yasiel Puig and Bryce Harper. Fortunately, though, there are no untamed horses or undisciplined kids in this year’s World Series who need to be reminded of their place.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)