Carlos Beltran robs David Ortiz of a grand slam but then departs World Series Game 1 with a rib contusion
Oct 23, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
Boston leads Game 1 of the World Series 5-0 after just two innings, but it could have been even worse for the visiting Cardinals. Watch as St. Louis right fielder Carlos Beltran robs Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz of a grand slam with one out in the bottom of the second (courtesy of HBT’s own Bill Baer):
The craziest thing about that home run-robbing catch is that Beltran’s elbow and torso hit the right-field wall well before the ball even fell. The 36-year-old was apparently injured on impact, as Jon Jay entered to play center field and Shane Robinson slid over to right field to open the bottom of the third inning.
The man on third base — David Ross — of course scored easily, giving the Red Sox their fifth run.
UPDATE, 9:22 p.m. ET: According to the Cardinals’ official Twitter feed, Beltran has a rib contusion.
UPDATE, 10:26 p.m. ET: Beltran has been taken to a local hospital in Boston to undergo tests.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)