Carlos Beltran taken to hospital with pain in ribs

Oct 23, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT

carlos beltran getty Getty Images

The news keeps getting worse for Cardinals fans.

As first reported by WTPL’s Bob Lobel, right fielder Carlos Beltran was sent to a local Boston hospital with pain in his ribs after robbing David Ortiz of a grand slam in the second inning of this World Series Game 1 at Fenway Park. The Cardinals originally labeled the injury as a “rib contusion,” but it sounds like it could be something much more serious.

Beltran’s elbow and torso collided with the right field well before the ball fell into his glove and the 36-year-old could be seen grimacing and grabbing at his rib cage immediately after. One of the top postseason performers of all time, he’ll be sorely missed if he’s forced to sit out the rest of the series.

The Cardinals put Shane Robinson in right and Jon Jay in center to fill the absence in Game 1.

Here’s a GIF — courtesy of HardballTalk’s own Bill Baer — of the spectacular Beltran catch:

source:

Boston has a 5-0 lead on visiting St. Louis as the top of the sixth inning gets underway at Fenway.

************************

UPDATE, 11:43 p.m. ET: According to FOX’s broadcast, X-rays were negative and Beltran is day-to-day.

1. cur68 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

He hit right at the seam of that padding. Might have gone right into the metal fence with almost no padding. Ow.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Right? Its like his elbow split the padding, and pushed whatever was left back.

Usually its the pitchers that take people out.. Ortiz has been crushing hopes and dreams on Grand Slam attempts to the right field fence

• micktaco - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Beltran has 1 more world series at bat then we will ever have. Also fame, popularity and a fortune of $161 million in career salary not including playoff shares & future salaries easily get him to $200 million. Do you feel bad for him now? Not me!

2. 950003cups - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I was waiting for the Mets jinx to kick in.

3. bubbalynch - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Uh, I say this is karma for the pegging Hanley got on the ribs!

• raysfan1 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM

The. Karma is very unfair as it was not Beltran who did that to Hanley.

• wkl21 - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM

his teammate did though.

• raysfan1 - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM

So? The guy who has waited 16 years to get a shot at the WS deserves to get injured in his first WS game because someone else got hurt by a pitch he did not throw? Is that your sense of justice? People saying “karma” might have a (small) point if it were the pitcher who hit Hanley Ramirez getting a similar sort of injury. They were both just unfortunate injuries, period.

• fearlessleader - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I’m really looking forward to reading this same brilliant sentiment from 948307634890 different Dodger fans on the interwebs!

Seriously, anyone who’s even a little bit happy about Beltran getting hurt in his first World Series game after waiting 16 years to play in one….is a turd.

• stercuilus65 - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Tough shit, the truth hurts, turd.

4. Anoesis - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Hmm, injured ribs to star hitter. Where have I heard that before?

5. jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Silva, what’s on tap? :D

• Drew Silva - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Ha, I wish. Gotta work early tomorrow.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM

He asked “what’s on tap?” not “what are you doing shots of?”.

6. Caught Looking - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Beltran is back in the Cardinals clubhouse. Perhaps it’s not that serious.

7. raysfan1 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Rib contusions can hurt for weeks. Stinks to get to this time of year and have key players hurt like Cabrera, Hanley, and now Beltran.

8. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

How I wish the police officer from the Torri Hunter flip over the wall was there cheering again. If Beltran went over the wall, all I can picture is “Son, you look to be all right, but it looks like you’ve hit your head. You’ve got a big bump by your right ear. Its swelling up good.”

9. jya87 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Dodgers fans are feeling conflicted about this development.

10. happytwinsfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM

i’m guessing that the shot he took would have me pissing and moaning for about three months. and he’ll probably be back in the next game or two. even so it was a good catch but not a great catch.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I hurt my back two summers ago moving a fridge
      And ever since then it’s just not the same
      Y’know it, it gets pretty, it gets pretty sore

-Jon Lajoie (Taco from The League) in Regular Everyday Normal Guy

11. gameover78 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I hope he’s able to play in game 2. Hate to see anyone get injured, unless they wear weakass pin stripes

12. gameover78 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Hahaha….love the Vaginal Hubris song

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM

My naginta.

13. tork006 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM

R U serious? Dude is way SOFT!!!!!! He looks like the Dough Nut Boy for softball league. My grandmother, who lives in a wheel chair, could’ve caught that ball without hurting herself!!!! Hunter leaped over the fence because he could lift himself up off the ground, Beltran ran into the fence, with his arm taking the blow from the iron fence(which was padded), and then complains about hurting his ribs. Sounds like a good excuse for letting Boston sweep da Cards. BOSTON STRONG

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM

This really isn’t the place to be using words like “da” and expect anyone to agree with anything you say..even if they agree with everything you say.

Stop trolling, you’re making us look bad. Last I checked Boston Strong had nothing to do with calling other people weak. Especially people that have the chance to change a series like Beltran. As a Sox fan he’s my, and should be your, biggest fear if and when he returns.

By the way, why would he jump when he didn’t have to? And FYI, the fences at Fenway are not iron.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I agree with everything he said.

I knew at the “R U” that his point was that he aspires to be a teenage girl.

That was it, right?

I was disappointed though because I was hoping there would be some new information in his post about Kimye’s engagement or Justin Beiber’s new album dropping.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Just want to let you know you’re whole theory now has even less credence (look it up if you don’t understand the word), as it is being reported that this is a wrist injury.

That would mean putting his arm in the way is in fact what hurt him, not what makes him soft as you tried to imply.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM

tfbuckfutter-

No, I don’t think he has those types of interests. There would of been more tYpInG lIKe tHiS if that were the case.

Then again, I kind of picture every troll looking exactly the same. No matter where they’re from, I picture the same person. So you very well might be right.

• fearlessleader - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Hey, tbuckfutter, we’re on the same side here, but I would like to note for the record that when I was a teenaged girl, I was a great deal more intelligent about baseball and a great deal less douchey than tork006.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM

fearlessleader, I never mean generalizations as absolutes. I actually find myself regularly defending things like Beiber-fever by pointing out how popular Backstreet Boys or KNOTB were.

So while I think teenage girls today have terrible interests and priorities, I am aware that teenage girls of yesteryear had the same terrible interests and priorities, and I also recognize that plenty of teenage girls today don’t fall into the stereotype anymore than some of the awesome girls I grew up with did.

And just to make sure you don’t find this post misogynistic….I have similarly negative opinions about boy stereotypes too.

14. drewzducks - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I strongly question the accuracy of this story. There is NO WAY Bob Lobel was sober by the second inning of Game 1 of the World Series.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

You do realize it is possible the only reason Bob knew this in the first place is because he was already at the hospital after being found passed out on a curb near Yawkey Way.

• drewzducks - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM

First on the scene. LOL

15. drelms - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Thank God I finally figured out how to stream a free live game from my computer to my tv so I did not have to listen to that idiot Buck. I will never watch a game with Buck broadcasting again, never never never.

Great Game go SOX

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Well it wasn’t as bad tonight without his co-hosts Sherzer and Verlander on. Plus, Americas’ Sweetheart, Alex Avila wasn’t mentioned every other batter tonight.

16. overdrawnagain - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM

He needs to get healthy so the Yankees can overpay him to DH next yr

17. losanginsight - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Rib for a rib. The baseball gods serving justice. This should be over in 5.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3049)