Oct 23, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT
The news keeps getting worse for Cardinals fans.
As first reported by WTPL’s Bob Lobel, right fielder Carlos Beltran was sent to a local Boston hospital with pain in his ribs after robbing David Ortiz of a grand slam in the second inning of this World Series Game 1 at Fenway Park. The Cardinals originally labeled the injury as a “rib contusion,” but it sounds like it could be something much more serious.
Beltran’s elbow and torso collided with the right field well before the ball fell into his glove and the 36-year-old could be seen grimacing and grabbing at his rib cage immediately after. One of the top postseason performers of all time, he’ll be sorely missed if he’s forced to sit out the rest of the series.
Here’s a GIF — courtesy of HardballTalk’s own Bill Baer — of the spectacular Beltran catch:
Boston has a 5-0 lead on visiting St. Louis as the top of the sixth inning gets underway at Fenway.
UPDATE, 11:43 p.m. ET: According to FOX’s broadcast, X-rays were negative and Beltran is day-to-day.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)