Oct 23, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT
The news keeps getting worse for Cardinals fans.
As first reported by WTPL’s Bob Lobel, right fielder Carlos Beltran was sent to a local Boston hospital with pain in his ribs after robbing David Ortiz of a grand slam in the second inning of this World Series Game 1 at Fenway Park. The Cardinals originally labeled the injury as a “rib contusion,” but it sounds like it could be something much more serious.
Beltran’s elbow and torso collided with the right field well before the ball fell into his glove and the 36-year-old could be seen grimacing and grabbing at his rib cage immediately after. One of the top postseason performers of all time, he’ll be sorely missed if he’s forced to sit out the rest of the series.
Here’s a GIF — courtesy of HardballTalk’s own Bill Baer — of the spectacular Beltran catch:
Boston has a 5-0 lead on visiting St. Louis as the top of the sixth inning gets underway at Fenway.
UPDATE, 11:43 p.m. ET: According to FOX’s broadcast, X-rays were negative and Beltran is day-to-day.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)