Oct 23, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
Given that Jim Leyland is 68 and stepped down saying that he thinks it’s a job for a younger man, going to a 70 year-old dude as the Tigers next manager would be an interesting choice. Still, Charlie Manuel would be up for it. And he’s getting into the BSOHL for a gig too. Via Phillies Nation:
Charlie Manuel popped up on a Detroit sports radio station, 105.1, and spoke with The Diesel show, expressing interest in the Tigers managerial opening. Manuel said he is getting himself in shape and hoping to score one of the vacant jobs.
At nearly 70 (he hits that number in January), Manuel says “Condition-wise, I feel tremendous,” Manuel said. “I’ve still got the fire. I’ve got a full tank. I’m still very much in the game.”
I don’t know if he’ll get a managers’ gig. My guess would be no in that most teams probably want to go younger or longer term. But I do think that Manuel would still be a good manager in the right situation. Detroit probably wouldn’t be the worst situation either.
If that doesn’t happen, though, you could do way, way, way worse than to hire him as a bench coach or hitting coach. He’s been successful everywhere he’s been.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 5
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)