Oct 23, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
Given that Jim Leyland is 68 and stepped down saying that he thinks it’s a job for a younger man, going to a 70 year-old dude as the Tigers next manager would be an interesting choice. Still, Charlie Manuel would be up for it. And he’s getting into the BSOHL for a gig too. Via Phillies Nation:
Charlie Manuel popped up on a Detroit sports radio station, 105.1, and spoke with The Diesel show, expressing interest in the Tigers managerial opening. Manuel said he is getting himself in shape and hoping to score one of the vacant jobs.
At nearly 70 (he hits that number in January), Manuel says “Condition-wise, I feel tremendous,” Manuel said. “I’ve still got the fire. I’ve got a full tank. I’m still very much in the game.”
I don’t know if he’ll get a managers’ gig. My guess would be no in that most teams probably want to go younger or longer term. But I do think that Manuel would still be a good manager in the right situation. Detroit probably wouldn’t be the worst situation either.
If that doesn’t happen, though, you could do way, way, way worse than to hire him as a bench coach or hitting coach. He’s been successful everywhere he’s been.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)