Oct 23, 2013, 9:32 AM EST
Given that Jim Leyland is 68 and stepped down saying that he thinks it’s a job for a younger man, going to a 70 year-old dude as the Tigers next manager would be an interesting choice. Still, Charlie Manuel would be up for it. And he’s getting into the BSOHL for a gig too. Via Phillies Nation:
Charlie Manuel popped up on a Detroit sports radio station, 105.1, and spoke with The Diesel show, expressing interest in the Tigers managerial opening. Manuel said he is getting himself in shape and hoping to score one of the vacant jobs.
At nearly 70 (he hits that number in January), Manuel says “Condition-wise, I feel tremendous,” Manuel said. “I’ve still got the fire. I’ve got a full tank. I’m still very much in the game.”
I don’t know if he’ll get a managers’ gig. My guess would be no in that most teams probably want to go younger or longer term. But I do think that Manuel would still be a good manager in the right situation. Detroit probably wouldn’t be the worst situation either.
If that doesn’t happen, though, you could do way, way, way worse than to hire him as a bench coach or hitting coach. He’s been successful everywhere he’s been.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 0
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 88
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 43
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (88)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)