Charlie Manuel is getting in shape, interested in the Tigers job

Oct 23, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT

charlie manuel nutrisystem-thumb-300x225-5075

Given that Jim Leyland is 68 and stepped down saying that he thinks it’s a job for a younger man, going to a 70 year-old dude as the Tigers next manager would be an interesting choice. Still, Charlie Manuel would be up for it. And he’s getting into the BSOHL for a gig too. Via Phillies Nation:

Charlie Manuel popped up on a Detroit sports radio station, 105.1, and spoke with The Diesel show, expressing interest in the Tigers managerial opening. Manuel said he is getting himself in shape and hoping to score one of the vacant jobs.

At nearly 70 (he hits that number in January), Manuel says “Condition-wise, I feel tremendous,” Manuel said. “I’ve still got the fire. I’ve got a full tank. I’m still very much in the game.”

I don’t know if he’ll get a managers’ gig. My guess would be no in that most teams probably want to go younger or longer term. But I do think that Manuel would still be a good manager in the right situation. Detroit probably wouldn’t be the worst situation either.

If that doesn’t happen, though, you could do way, way, way worse than to hire him as a bench coach or hitting coach. He’s been successful everywhere he’s been.

1. mdpickles - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Took Charlie almost 200 National League games to adjust to that style of managing. He could jump back in with an AL team and be fine.

2. natstowngreg - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Would it be necessary to create a new category on the BSOHL list, for managers?

If his health is OK, I can see Cholly being a good fit for a good, veteran team.

3. aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

He looks good…lost some significant weight.

4. xdj511 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I’m 38, relatively fit and go to the gym twice a week. Does this qualify me for consideration for the Tigers managerial position?

• mdpickles - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Not sure. We would have to see a video of you sauntering to a mound and signal for a pitching change.

• xdj511 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Oh, I’m out then. I’d probably point to the wrong arm once a week or so.

5. rjmarrella - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Uncle Chuck! My man! He cut them wiz wit’s out.

6. gabeguterres - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

He’s still the oldest person that I’d like to punch in the face.

“Volkswagon.” Sheesh.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5434)