Oct 23, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
This is more of a “keep it in the back of your mind” thing, as the Red Sox say that their plans with respect to Clay Buchholz have not changed for the World Series. But Rob Bradford of WEEI reports that there is at least some question about Buchholz’s health at the moment:
While a source suggested there are some physical issues Buchholz is dealing with, there is presently nothing that the Red Sox anticipate will force an alteration to the team’s postseason rotation. Manager John Farrell, in outlining the rotation for the World Series, said that John Lackey will start Game 2 with Buchholz and Jake Peavy expected to pitch Games 3 and 4, with the order yet to be announced.
Obviously if he was suffering from some injury things would be different. As it is now, we can only note that Buchholz’s velocity has been down of late and that he has not been as dominant in the postseason as he was in the regular season. He’s allowed ten earned runs in 16.2 postseason innings so far, while striking out 15.
I sort of like the matchups for St. Louis at the moment, with Adam Wainwright and Michael Wacha going 1-2 against Jon Lester and John Lackey. If Buchholz is at his best, the advantage swings back to Boston. If not, hmmmm.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 15
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)