Oct 23, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
If you’re reading this blog, you’re probably a baseball fan. And if you’re a baseball fan of a certain age, you probably at one point in your life collected baseball cards. Yeah, those things decaying in your parents’ basement, accruing value only in your imagination.
It’s time to reignite the flame in this digital world.
We’ll let Sebek and his cohorts further explain:
Over the past two years, our team has been creating an iPhone application that allows users to create their own baseball cards. The front and back are fully personalized with custom photos, text and color. Once created, users can share them socially on Facebook and Twitter.
Then, the real fun begins.
Users can purchase a pack of cards that are printed on premium recycled stock and come wrapped in a custom wax pack. There are 20 cards per pack and you can purchase the same card or mix and match from your collection. Then they’re shared as birth announcements, business cards, wedding gifts, birthday presents or conversation pieces. Our team tinkered with every possible inch of this product, all the way down to the gum – which FDA policies restrict these days. Sorry, you’ll need to find stale gum somewhere else.
Use of the app is totally free. If you want a custom, handcrafted pack it costs $12.99 (plus shipping).
There are numerous card templates and the possibilities within those card templates are endless:
Download the Rookies App now for the iPhone or iPad. A version for Android users is coming soon.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)