Dana DeMuth gets bailed out by his buds

Oct 23, 2013, 9:24 PM EST

World Series Cardinals Red Sox Baseball AP

It took less than an inning for a horrible umpiring decision in what stands to be the final World Series before expanded instant replay is introduced. Enter Dana DeMuth (GIF from @BuzzfeedSports)

GIF: here's the called out that umpires huddled and (correctly) overruled. Error on Kozma.

DeMuth, the second base ump, said Cardinals shortstop Pete Kozma lost the ball on the exchange, giving the Cardinals an out on a potential double play ball from David Ortiz. Red Sox manager John Farrell came out and convinced DeMuth to huddle with the rest of the umpires, and the call was overturned. The FOX crew reported afterwards that the crew was unanimous in believing it should be changed, suggesting that even DeMuth realized he made a mistake. Not that he would have changed his mind on his own.

So, congrats to John Hirschbeck’s crew for not making a potentially series-altering mistake all of 20 minutes in. The Red Sox went on to score three runs on a Mike Napoli double.

1. tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Dana is a girl’s name.

• sabatimus - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Your point?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM

2 points. He has a girl’s name and I like Homer Simpson.

• sabatimus - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Ah, an intellectual coward. The best kind.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM

It’s not my fault you didn’t get the reference, which I had to explain to you, which I was courteous enough to do, because I don’t usually.

So be polite. Dipshit.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM

However, I apologize if you took offense because you also have a girl’s name.

• esracerx46 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I got it tb. Thanks for the chuckle.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Except for when it’s a boys name, such as Dana Carvey, Dana Andrews, etc.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Well, Jayne ain’t a girl. I’ll show you good and all. I got man parts.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Had to look it up because I never watched that show, but every time I see Adam Baldwin I think of three things, in order: Poison Ivy, My Bodyguard, Animal Mother from FMJ.

I know him from other things but I can’t specifically remember him in anything but those three movies (although I also recall rumors he may have had actual sex with Shannon Tweed in a movie once but I never saw the movie, just the clips)

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Firefly was far and away his best role. But then again it’s one of the best shows a LOT of people have never watched. Netflix it if you can. It’s really worth it. You may also remember him from Full Metal Jacket and Chuck. He’s also voiced a LOT of popular animated shows and video games.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM

He look, it’s the pirate from Dodgeball.

I’m aware of Firefly, we actually bought the series for my father in law when he was talking about how great the movie (I don’t remember the name of it off the top of my head) was.

I’m just not a big sci-fi guy. Although I did have a minor crush on Jewel Staite when she was on Flash Forward…..so watching that show would just be an hour of me going “Hey look, it’s Alan from Suburgatory….oh, he’s talking to Animal Mother….Hey! It’s Becca from Flash Forward!….And she’s talking to Johnny from Two Guys and a Girl….” and then I would wonder whatever happened to Traylor Howard and I would be on IMDB not paying any attention to the space thingy.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

To be honest, it’s really more of a western that just happens to be set in space. With a ton of Chinese influence. Also, it has Joan from Mad Men in a few episodes if that helps pique your interest.

• drewzducks - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Your punishment for such insensitivity is being provided by one Ryan Scott Dempster

2. pastabelly - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

DeMuth channeling his inner Joe West.

• 4d3fect - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM

or his inner Don Denkinger.

• blacksables - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Really? The entire crew was unamimous?

Does that include the home plate umpire, who was blocked from the play by DeMuth?

Does that include the first base umpire who is supposed to be watching first base and the batter coming to the base (which is his area of responsibility and not the play at second?)

Does that include the third base umpire who is supposed to be watching third base and the batter coming to the base (which is his area of responsibility and not the play at second?)

Does that include the left field umpire, who was 200 feet away?

Does that include the right field umpire, who was 200 feet away?

I’m not saying DeMuth made a perfect call. What I want to know is how another umpire saw it better, and why they weren’t watching their own area of responsibility.

You guys have forced the umpires to cave in to media pressure and make calls that will get them the least amount of abuse, and not call the game honestly.

For the record, yeah, I’m a Cardinals fan, and yeah, DeMuth didn’t make a good call. That’s not the point. The point is, how can any other umpire have made the call better?

• stex52 - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

So you are saying that the media is forcing them to make the right calls, or correct blatantly bad calls?

Why is this a problem?

• Paul White - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

“The point is, how can any other umpire have made the call better?”

Well, since they collectively DID make the call better, and did so without benefit or replay or a person in their ears with access to replay, I’m going to presume that one or more of them used their eyeballs. And then spoke up about it. And then DeMuth conceded he didn’t have a good view and/or blew the call and wasn’t brave enough to reverse himself without a huddle.

All of your presumptions about being blocked, watching other bases, being too far away, etc., didn’t get in the way of SOMEONE in that group seeing the play correctly.

• theskinsman - Oct 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Well said,Pastabelly.

3. weaselpuppy - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Armando Gallaraga wants his out back

• johnnysoda - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Let it go, man.

4. cur68 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Good lord. How was that anything but an error? DeMuth needs his eyes checked

5. b0ngg - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

there is no dana, only zuul

6. jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Is Silva checking the craft beer selection already?

7. ewill27 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

@b0ngg. LMFAO

8. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I love how an umpire blows a call, knows he blew the call, but refuses to correct it until someone forces him to fix it. Good old MLB. Allowing umpire egos to take precedence over getting the calls right.

Could you imagine if this happened anywhere else in the real world? “Sorry boss, I knew I put an extra zero on the end of that check, but I didn’t want to admit I messed up.”

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I know my bar is pretty low but they corrected it!

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM

To be fair, he legitimately might not have recognized the mistake. If he’s alternating between watching the bag and the slide, and the flight of the ball, it’s reasonable to assume the way flight pattern of the ball was during a transition….it’s still wrong, and I’m not saying that’s what happened at all, I’m just saying that’s what COULD have happened.

And once he made the wrong call he can’t take the Red Sox or fans word for it.

He has man enough to accept the appeal for a conference. If after that, the umps didn’t change it, it’d be a different story (although at that point it’s still reasonable that no one saw the play accurately).

A lot of umps are dicks, but like all people, dicks make understandable mistakes too.

9. gameover78 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Yes, dicks do make mistakes too. Like that assclown Jim Rome saying the Sox would get smoked in game 1. Time to message him and say “Good call on game 1, Chris”

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Hold it Gameover, if not for all those runs they scored, the Sox would have lost tonight. So cut Rome some slack.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Jim Rome lost all his appeal when he got rid of his delightful “All the Brady men have perms” hair.

He’s like Samson, but only if Samson had pubic hair on his head.

I wish Jim Everitt would make him wet himself again.

• joestemme - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Jim Rome still has a show?!

Lord, how low do you have to go before your 15 minutes are over……………..?

• nbjays - Oct 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I dunno… ask Sarah Palin…

10. brentsalish - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

For a group of commenters who profess to know a lot about this great game, you are out in left field here. Please try umping a game or two before commenting.

DeMuth, doing his job properly, was looking at the base while listening for the smack of the ball into the glove. He heard it and ascertained correctly that the ball beat the runner and that the fielder was on the base. Then he looked up to watch the transfer and saw the hand pulling away and the ball flying free. He had to determine whether the error was on the transfer or the catch. With little to go on at this point, he made a choice, obviously the incorrect choice. Then he huddled with the other umps and got the play right. I can’t see the full video, but the chances are that he or one of the umpires made a subtle point of thumb to chest, meaning “I have (or need) some other information; let’s huddle.”

They got the play right exactly the way they’re supposed to.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM

For someone who professes to know a lot about sports fans you are out in left field here.

Umpires all suck, the calls are right when they go for our team and are bullshit when they go against our team and are typical incompetence when they make the wrong call and then have to admit their mistake, and it’s really really satisfying to see an ump tuck his tail between his legs and admit a mistake because they are all arrogant jerks who think they are bigger than the game.

It’s not a hard concept.

• skids003 - Oct 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Well, at least you are honest. That’s why they have umpires, because people are mostly like you and couldn’t be counted on to be honest enough to “call their own” game. They have to be unbiased and fair, while fans are not.

• recoveringcubsfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Skids, did you know the word “gullible” is not in the dictionary? Yours is also missing the words “sarcasm” and “arrogant.” Get the new HBT Commenters edition, available for free by reading any comments thread in its entirety.

• stex52 - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Tfbuck,

You need to get that sarcasm font going. The average commenter here has a pretty low subtlety tolerance.

11. pastabelly - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM

The umpire was looking at Kozma. He flat out blew it.

12. tr5079 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Why would he be looking at the bag? It’s been pretty obvious lately that you don’t have to be on the bag with the ball to get an out call.

13. mvd513 - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Dana is a girl’s name. So is Jane. “Jayne” isnt a real word.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5777)