Oct 23, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
It took less than an inning for a horrible umpiring decision in what stands to be the final World Series before expanded instant replay is introduced. Enter Dana DeMuth (GIF from @BuzzfeedSports)
DeMuth, the second base ump, said Cardinals shortstop Pete Kozma lost the ball on the exchange, giving the Cardinals an out on a potential double play ball from David Ortiz. Red Sox manager John Farrell came out and convinced DeMuth to huddle with the rest of the umpires, and the call was overturned. The FOX crew reported afterwards that the crew was unanimous in believing it should be changed, suggesting that even DeMuth realized he made a mistake. Not that he would have changed his mind on his own.
So, congrats to John Hirschbeck’s crew for not making a potentially series-altering mistake all of 20 minutes in. The Red Sox went on to score three runs on a Mike Napoli double.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8