Oct 23, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
To put it simply, the Cardinals were never in Game 1 of the World Series. Terribly sloppy defensively, they were down 3-0 after one and 5-0 after two. They mounted little rallies in the fourth and fifth innings, but nothing came of them. At no point did Boston’s lead seem surmountable.
None of that matters now, though. Losing the opener 8-1 with three errors and a solitary extra-base hit in the ninth? It’s no different from losing 5-4.
Here’s what the Cardinals have working for them:
Game 2: Michael Wacha
Game 6: Michael Wacha
Game 7: Well, anything can happen in Game 7.
So, yeah, the Cardinals’ chances of winning the World Series very much hinge on Wacha. But who better to put them on? The rookie who has allowed one run and nine hits over 29 2/3 innings in his last four starts. He has the freshest arm of any starter in the series, and the Red Sox have never seen him before, which should work to his advantage. Maybe he’ll be nervous, but nothing that happened in the NLCS suggests it. If the Cardinals can win Game 2, they’ll have gotten all they should have hoped for in Boston.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:58 PM EDT
A’s left fielder Coco Crisp has been bothered by discomfort in the middle of his right arm for much of spring training, limiting him to seven Cactus League games. And the injury isn’t getting any better.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
Is the fun over in Cincy?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
As first reported by beat writer Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have acquired right-handed starter Erasmo Ramirez from the Mariners in exchange for left-hander Mike Montgomery.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Gregerson figured to get the job after signing a three-year, $18.5 million free agent contract with Houston in early December and he pitched well enough this spring to fend off any potential competition.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT
The 20-year-old right-hander announced the news on his Twitter account Tuesday …
Mar 31, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Baseball is not dying.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com shares the news …
Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright tossed a spring-high 93 pitches in a Grapefruit League appearance Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins and was officially declared the Cardinals’ Opening Night starter after the outing by manager Mike Matheny.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Lefties never die. But Mijares is going to have a harder time now.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Why is this man smiling when his team appears to be destined for last place?
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
“Sheer panic … things got very bad, very quickly.”
Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Nice little loophole.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
WIll this man be smiling in October?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez appeared in 80 games for the Mariners last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s supposedly just an arm cramp, but Brad Ausmus isn’t ruling out the DL.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A long-overdue measure will, apparently, soon be in place.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Wright had a rough spring, allowing 11 runs in eight appearances.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
With this team, they’ll need it.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Petricka saved 14 games with a 2.96 ERA and 55/33 K/BB ratio in 73 innings last season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)