Oct 23, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
Technically it’s the Loma Prieta earthquake, but it will always be associated with the World Series for folks like you and me. Today Grantland has an oral history of the quake from writers, fans, ballplayers, geologists, and a number of others, all talking about the before, the during and the after of one of America’s most infamous natural disasters.
[Larry] Gatlin: I’m standing in the coach’s box with Mike Lupica. We’re just bullsh***ing. A 747 comes right over Candlestick Park. The ground starts shaking. Lupy looks at me and says, “A 747 ain’t supposed to make the ground shake like that.” I said, “That ain’t a 747. We’re in one!”
Some oral histories are lame. This one is the polar opposite of lame. It’s a must-read.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 14
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 31
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (112)