Oct 23, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
Technically it’s the Loma Prieta earthquake, but it will always be associated with the World Series for folks like you and me. Today Grantland has an oral history of the quake from writers, fans, ballplayers, geologists, and a number of others, all talking about the before, the during and the after of one of America’s most infamous natural disasters.
[Larry] Gatlin: I’m standing in the coach’s box with Mike Lupica. We’re just bullsh***ing. A 747 comes right over Candlestick Park. The ground starts shaking. Lupy looks at me and says, “A 747 ain’t supposed to make the ground shake like that.” I said, “That ain’t a 747. We’re in one!”
Some oral histories are lame. This one is the polar opposite of lame. It’s a must-read.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 119
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 260
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)