Oct 23, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Technically it’s the Loma Prieta earthquake, but it will always be associated with the World Series for folks like you and me. Today Grantland has an oral history of the quake from writers, fans, ballplayers, geologists, and a number of others, all talking about the before, the during and the after of one of America’s most infamous natural disasters.
[Larry] Gatlin: I’m standing in the coach’s box with Mike Lupica. We’re just bullsh***ing. A 747 comes right over Candlestick Park. The ground starts shaking. Lupy looks at me and says, “A 747 ain’t supposed to make the ground shake like that.” I said, “That ain’t a 747. We’re in one!”
Some oral histories are lame. This one is the polar opposite of lame. It’s a must-read.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11