Oct 23, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
A.J. Burnett has said he’s weighing whether to re-sign with the Pirates or retire at age 36 and Pirates president Frank Coonelly left no doubt that he’d like Burnett to re-sign for 2014, telling Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:
We’d like to have A.J. back. Everybody has made that clear; we’ve made it clear to A.J. He’s got a decision to make, first and foremost, whether it’s time for him to spend more time with his family or whether he thinks he can go another year. If he decides that he wants to come back, we definitely want A.J. back.
Burnett pondering retirement could actually work in the Pirates’ favor in that he presumably won’t be looking for a multi-year contract. They also have the option of making him a qualifying offer, in which case Burnett could accept and get a one-year deal for around $14 million or the Pirates would get draft pick compensation if he were to sign elsewhere.
Burnett struggled in his playoff start, but threw 393 innings with a 3.41 ERA in two years with the Pirates, including 191 innings with a 3.30 ERA this season to finish a five-year, $82.5 million contract handed out by the Yankees once upon a time.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)