Red Sox grab big first-inning lead in Game 1

Oct 23, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT

mike napoli red sox getty Getty Images

The 2013 World Series is off to a pretty horrendous start for the National League-champion Cardinals.

Adam Wainwright walked Jacoby Ellsbury to open the bottom of the first inning and then gave up a one-out single to Dustin Pedroia. David Ortiz then hit a groundball to Cardinals second baseman Matt Carpenter that should have been turned into an inning-ending doubleplay. But Carpenter made a soft, off-the-mark flip to shortstop Pete Kozma and the ball was dropped. Second base umpire Dana DeMuth originally called Pedroia out, claiming that Kozma dropped the ball on the transfer, but the entire six-man umpiring crew got together and made things right.

A moment later Mike Napoli — who terrorized the Cardinals in the 2011 World Series as a member of the Texas Rangers — slugged a bases-clearing, three-run double into the left-field gap.

Wainwright threw 31 pitches in the first inning. Red Sox starter Jon Lester threw just 12.

Boston has a 3-0 lead as Game 1 of the World Series moves to the top of the second.

1. jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I can’t believe the umps a) reversed a call on the field and b) got it right.

• cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I want to be livid about it but can’t muster the intellectual dishonesty. “How dare you be responsible stewards of your profession and get the right call!” Damn.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I am honestly just taken aback. I thought Farrell was doing the token manager thing by arguing with the umps. Turns out he made a level headed call for the umps to get together.

Let me guess, Valentine would have done the same thing.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

i have intellectual dishonesty to spare if you care to take a loan.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Only 1 ump got it wrong. The other 5 agreed that Pedroia was safe.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

But how many times do they actually reverse it and get it right.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I think Hirshbeck came out and said “Dude, you can’t be so obvious about it….they still remember Tim fucking Tschida.”

2. jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Cards fans. Is it crazy to be more afraid of Wacha than Wainwright?

• cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Well, presumably Wacha won’t call for a ball and stare at it with a confused look on his face as it drops to the ground….so no, not crazy.

3. pastabelly - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM

That second base umpire made the worst call of the season and waited until the WS to do it. I don’t understand how anyone can blow a call so badly.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he was watching the slide and not the ball.

Which isn’t much benefit since watching the ball is kind of part of his job description.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Some Umps can’t pay attention to one thing.

4. cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Well, this game has officially gotten sad.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

The Cards shelled one of the best left handed pitchers of the last five years. This ain’t over until someone wins four whole games.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Very true.

Even the best of the best spit the bit sometimes, and the Sox don’t have a pitcher of the caliber of either Kershaw or Wainwright, so no one should be down in the dumps yet.

5. happytwinsfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

that missed pop up at the start of the second is strangely astounding and only possible in baseball

6. aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Wow, this game is going all sorts of wrong for the Cards WAY early. Sure as hell didn’t expect this.

• apkyletexas - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The Dodgers and Pirates made Wainright look far better than he really is – the Red Sox aren’t going to be so easily intimidated. The Cards should be on notice – they can’t count on two shutouts from Michael Wacha to bail them out of a lack of hitting in this series.

Unfortunately for St. Louis, their hitters are quickly making Lester look better than he really is.

7. gameover78 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Nothing like a 30 pitch first inning by a “great” pitcher.
    Hahaha brilliant play on the popup too! Cards look lost and sad at this point, welcome to Fenway kids

BOSTON STRONG

• aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Two innings in to Game 1 and you’re gonna act like an arrogant ass?

That’s called karma, pal. Save the gloating for the last out of their fourth win.

• apkyletexas - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM

They acted that way all through the 86 year curse. Why stop now?

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

This is why people hate us, and countless articles are written on this site about our fans.

I swear, we’re not all complete asses. I’m just a little uppity on Sundays.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I will never understand talking shit because someone you like is doing something you can’t do better than other people doing something you can’t do.

My buddy Tony is a way better bartender than your buddy Mark. Howja like dat yah queah?

• cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Look, the Cardinals are just trying to entertain the kids right now, and give them a good game 1 experience. They’ll start playing real baseball tomorrow, or so I’ll tell myself as I move into my 6th beer in the hopes of blacking out and forgetting this mess.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I said the same during Game 2 of the ALCS when the Red Sox were down 5 runs. Luckily I wasn’t quite drunk enough to miss the 8th inning comeback, but just drunk enough to lose my pants.

The moral of the story is, keep the faith until the end, and pace yourself.

• Anoesis - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

And wear underwear.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM

And if you’re a Red Sox fan, wear the same underwear you are wearing right now for each game.

I’m planning to wear the same underwear, shorts and shirt.

I don’t want to be the guy that loses the Series for them.

8. paperlions - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Kozma!

• cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I keep thinking I can’t hate Pete Kozma any more, but then he just keeps surprising me.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM

watching him catch that sinking liner in the third i finally understand your comment

9. jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Torii Hunter just took his hat off.

10. happytwinsfan - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

did beltran just “out clutch” ortiz?

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Really, I felt like I was watching two Jedi Masters try to one up each other.

11. tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

That was a great catch by Beltran.

Is there a possibility the Cards may shake up their rotation for Game 2?

I can’t think, if the bullpen has to go 5 innings, that they will want to put a rookie on the mound in Game 2 against in an AL park for the first time.

12. cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Ohh, and Beltran is hurt. Throw in some rectal surgery, and this is the best day ever!

13. whereyaat - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

After all that talk about how to play the game correctly, the Cardinals sure aren’t playing the game correctly.

• cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Well, somebody just doesn’t understand the “Cardinal Way”.

14. pastabelly - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Kozma actually makes me feel good that Stephen Drew plays short for the Sox.

15. einjzmolf - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My favorite part of this game so far has been that Wainwright gave up a leadoff walk in the 1st. I swear I heard Joe and Tim’s pens crossing off ‘gently cupping wainwrights scrotum all game about not walking anyone’ from their game notes.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Where are their broadcast partners Sherzer and Verlander? During the ALCS the four of them shared broadcast time. If they happened to be pitching that day, they just kept talking about them like they were there anyways.

That, and I miss not going a half inning without being reminded of the Nation’s new hero Alex Avila, or some video package of Alex and his ability to overcome insurmountable injuries unlike anyone this side of Jason Voorhees.

16. pastabelly - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Highlight is the double snot rocket by Lester

17. klownboy - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM

It’s early, but my “Cardinals in 7″ prediction is not looking good for the home team right now.

18. tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Good work Dumpster.

Probably a good idea to have Koji warming up.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate