Oct 23, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
There was a party Wednesday night at Fenway Park. And the Cardinals were merely serving the cocktails.
Jon Lester threw 7 2/3 scoreless innings and the Red Sox offense tagged the vaunted St. Louis staff early and late as Boston captured Game 1 of the World Series in an 8-1 rout. The only Cardinals run came on a ninth-inning solo blast by Matt Holliday. It was served up by Red Sox righty Ryan Dempster, who pitched just two total innings in the first two rounds. Dempster wound up finishing the game.
The Cardinals’ problems began in the bottom of the first inning when Game 1 starter Adam Wainwright issued a leadoff walk to Jacoby Ellsbury. It was just the 37th walk in 38 starts this year for the Cardinals’ ace and it kicked off a crushing opening frame for the visiting club. Dustin Pedroia followed with a one-out single and then David Ortiz reached on a botched would-be doubleplay. More on that here. Mike Napoli then hit a bases-clearing, three-run double into the left-field gap, scoring Ellsbury, Pedroia and Ortiz with one swing.
Wainwright made it just five innings, yielding five runs — three earned — in by far his worst outing of the 2013 postseason. And the St. Louis bullpen — save for John Axford — wasn’t really any better.
Game 2 of the World Series is on Thursday night, back at Fenway Park.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 43
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)