Oct 23, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
There was a party Wednesday night at Fenway Park. And the Cardinals were merely serving the cocktails.
Jon Lester threw 7 2/3 scoreless innings and the Red Sox offense tagged the vaunted St. Louis staff early and late as Boston captured Game 1 of the World Series in an 8-1 rout. The only Cardinals run came on a ninth-inning solo blast by Matt Holliday. It was served up by Red Sox righty Ryan Dempster, who pitched just two total innings in the first two rounds. Dempster wound up finishing the game.
The Cardinals’ problems began in the bottom of the first inning when Game 1 starter Adam Wainwright issued a leadoff walk to Jacoby Ellsbury. It was just the 37th walk in 38 starts this year for the Cardinals’ ace and it kicked off a crushing opening frame for the visiting club. Dustin Pedroia followed with a one-out single and then David Ortiz reached on a botched would-be doubleplay. More on that here. Mike Napoli then hit a bases-clearing, three-run double into the left-field gap, scoring Ellsbury, Pedroia and Ortiz with one swing.
Wainwright made it just five innings, yielding five runs — three earned — in by far his worst outing of the 2013 postseason. And the St. Louis bullpen — save for John Axford — wasn’t really any better.
Game 2 of the World Series is on Thursday night, back at Fenway Park.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)