Red Sox roll to 8-1 victory in World Series Game 1

Oct 23, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT

There was a party Wednesday night at Fenway Park. And the Cardinals were merely serving the cocktails.

Jon Lester threw 7 2/3 scoreless innings and the Red Sox offense tagged the vaunted St. Louis staff early and late as Boston captured Game 1 of the World Series in an 8-1 rout. The only Cardinals run came on a ninth-inning solo blast by Matt Holliday. It was served up by Red Sox righty Ryan Dempster, who pitched just two total innings in the first two rounds. Dempster wound up finishing the game.

The Cardinals’ problems began in the bottom of the first inning when Game 1 starter Adam Wainwright issued a leadoff walk to Jacoby Ellsbury. It was just the 37th walk in 38 starts this year for the Cardinals’ ace and it kicked off a crushing opening frame for the visiting club. Dustin Pedroia followed with a one-out single and then David Ortiz reached on a botched would-be doubleplay. More on that here. Mike Napoli then hit a bases-clearing, three-run double into the left-field gap, scoring Ellsbury, Pedroia and Ortiz with one swing.

Wainwright made it just five innings, yielding five runs — three earned — in by far his worst outing of the 2013 postseason. And the St. Louis bullpen — save for John Axford — wasn’t really any better.

Game 2 of the World Series is on Thursday night, back at Fenway Park.

It’ll be Cardinals rookie Michael Wacha vs. Boston’s John Lackey.

1. chill1184 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Nice job Red Sox

2. aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Of the multitudinous ways in which Game One could have transpired, this was one of the least likely outcomes to me. Wow.

It’s only one game, but I’m giddy as hell right now.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Really?

I actually expected the Sox to come out hot, or completely flat.

I don’t really expect back-and-forth games. I think they will either be tense pitching battles, or one-sided affairs.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Oh, NOW you’re an optimist? ;)

I sure as hell didn’t expect the Sox to steamroll Adam friggin’ Wainwright.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Exactly. I’m more surprised seeing a close game with the Sox, never mind the 4 we saw in the ALCS. They’re the epitome of a hot or cold team. Luckily in the last series, even when we were cold we managed to pull through.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Not optimistic. Still just a realist. This matchup just skews a little more toward the positive than the negative from my point of view (I generally think the AL has the upper hand when matching up against the NL, especially with home field advantage).

Like I said, I either expected them to put up a lot of runs, or it to be like the early games in the ALCS.

Frankly, I don’t have a high opinion of Cardinal pitchers (and I hate stating that because it could and may come back to bite me in the ass in this series). Maybe it’s because Chris Carpenter was such an awful AL pitcher who turned into a lights out NL pitcher under their tutelage, but they just strike me as being…..I don’t want to say overrated, but I can’t think of a more appropriate word.

I just have a hard time imagining Adam Wainwright being the same pitcher in a different environment. So while that may sound like a huge criticism, it’s actually a compliment to their amazing ability to get out of pitchers what I don’t think any other franchise could, and I fully admit my opinion may be skewed by some of the reclamation success they have had with the long list of guys like Carpenter and Suppan and Lohse….

I’m also sure there are tons of stats that show my opinion is nothing but complete and total jackassery, and I welcome them although I may not read them until the early morn.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM

That makes you more of a man than me.. Whenever I realize I’m wrong about something I went on a tirade on without checking any facts, there is no chance of me opening the post the next day to see the negative effects of my douche-baggery, and even less chance that I admit my mistakes. My pride can’t take any more blows than it already has. Computers were invented to boost egos while hiding behind a screen.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM

peterjohnjoseph, How I react to disputes depends entirely on my mood at the time. I can run the gamut from completely abrasive asshole to understanding your point of view while respectfully disagree to admitting you’re right and I’m wrong. Because of that I don’t usually take anyone’s approach to a disagreement with me personally, and any opportunity to learn about a topic I enjoy or see it from a different perspective, if it is presented reasonably (even if it’s not courteous), is something I accept and appreciate.

I have railed on Stephen Drew pretty hard because of his terrible offensive performance this postseason, and would rather see Bogearts/Middlebrooks, and I accept that others believe Drewl’s glove makes him forgetting his bat worth the tradeoff…..that’s fine.

However, when things are hard-and-fast, and both sides are abrasive assholes without any desire to accept the perspective of the other side (like religion, abortion or politics), then I become an absolutist.

But if you want to show me stats that I can use in the future to better analyze baseball, even if they prove my opinion wrong, I am learning and I like that.

3. nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

An epic thriller! The outcome was in doubt until nearly the 3rd inning.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM

It got questionable again when Dumpster came into the game.

I hope they don’t use him in a tight situation.

And by that I mean for the rest of his contract.

• dan1111 - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM

He does not deserve to have his name turned into garbage. He is one of the few hundred best people in the world at playing baseball. And he has a pretty good track record; there is a decent chance that he will be a useful starter next season.

But no, I don’t want him in a key situation, either. The fact that he was brought in to pitch the ninth in an 8-0 game indicates the management agrees.

4. thebadguyswon - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I smell a dud of a Series coming.

• cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

the 2001 World Series started with a 9-1 Diamondbacks victory (arguably the greatest series of all time)
      the 1987 World Series started with a 10-1 Twins victory and went 7 games
      the 1982 World Series started with a 10-0 Brewers victory and went 7 games

Game 1 blowout does not mean a bad series.

5. bigred0021 - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM

“Nails down the save…” In a 8-1 game. I don’t think so.

6. cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Well, if it weren’t for Pete Kozma, Adam Wainwright, David Ortiz, Mike Napoli, David Freese, Dustin Pedroia, John Lester, and the Red Sox outhitting/fielding/pitching the Cardinals, the Cardinals could have won this. Sad to let a game slip through your fingers like that.

7. stlouis1baseball - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I wore the same clothes I always wear. One thing though…and it’s entirely my fault.
    I lost my coozie. My buddy had his annual fall party Saturday night. Keg, horseshoes, volleyball and euchre. I lost it sometime between midnight and 2:00 A.M. I have one Cardinals coozie. Bought it in St. Louis this summer when the Wife and I took the girls to their 1st Cardinals game. I use this coozie during EVERY Cardinals game. Last night I drove to my buddies at ten after 7:00 in a last ditch effort to find it. No luck. That’s what I get for not drinking since the party. Had I had a beer since then I would have noticed it. I am worried. Real worried.

8. jimeejohnson - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I’m superstitious, too. Better luck to your Cardinals next game. Kudos to those bearded Bostonians.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug