St. Louis, Boston breweries stage World Series bets

Oct 23, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT

The fine folks at Schlafly Brand Beer in St. Louis — try their outstanding Pumpkin Ale or Coffee Stout if you ever get a chance — have established World Series bets with two Boston-based breweries, Harpoon and Boston Beer Company (the makers of Sam Adams). From the Beer Employee Blog at Schlafly.com:

The wager between our fearless leader, Dan Kopman and Harpoon president Dan Kenary is fairly straightforward. Whoever loses has to put a keg of beer from the other brewery on tap at their tasting room. If St. Louis loses, look for a keg of Harpoon IPA pour from our Schlafly Tap Room taps. If the Cardinals prevail…when the Cardinals prevail, beer drinkers visiting Harpoon in Boston will have a chance to taste what 12 World Series Championships tastes like. And by that we mean to say that 12 World Series Championships tastes like Schlafly Beer… just to be clear.

Dan Kopman and Samuel Adams founder, Jim Koch also got to talking about the upcoming Series, and decided that a bet was in order. Before all was said and done, Jim had offered up two cases of Boston Lager and a lobster dinner. Not to be outdone, Dan not only offered up some Schlafly Pale Ale and BBQ dinner from Pappy’s Smokehouse… he then raised the stakes to include the losing city shipping off a brewer, all expense paid, to the winning city’s brewery to help brew a victory beer.

I happen to live right across the street from the Schlafly Tap Room, so this all makes me very happy.

1. cardiovascularendurance - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

This is the greatest World Series bet I’ve heard of. I love it!

• eightyraw - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Schlafly did this with Rahr and Sons Brewing Co. (Ft. Worth) in 2011

2. baseballici0us - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM

“I happen to live right across the street from the Schlafly Tap Room…”

That explains SO MUCH about you, Drew. :-)

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Definitely going to start paying attention to the time of his posts.

• mybrunoblog - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Am I the only nerd who google earthed the Brewery in an attempt to see what kind of house Silva hangs his hat in?
      I expected Silva and all his money to have a “compound” or an “estate” not a house

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Replace nerd with stalker and potentially gold digger based on your last sentence and we are talking :D

• Drew Silva - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

More of a building than a house. Next to the vacant lot. No, the other vacant lot.

3. buzzlikebeer - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

been looking for schlafly pumpkin ale for a while. not easily found near phila. can I bet the brewery that the phils will suck again next year? i’ll put up some of my homebrew.

4. frank433 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM

One of the best things about living in Michigan is that I don’t have to go far for great beer. Some phenomenal breweries in the state.

5. proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I a glad that Budweiser is not part of this bet.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Edit: “am”

6. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM

If I bet Budweiser tastes like shit, I’d win every time.

• brewcrewchamps - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Maybe I’m biased, but miller lite is at least a thousand times better than bud light. Neither budweiser or MGD are my thing though

• brewcrewchamps - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Come to think of it, Blatz is my thing!!!!

Just kidding, I hope nobody outside of milwaukee knows what im talking about though

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Ha! I agree 100%. Love my Miller Lite when I’m out trying to put as much beer in my stomach as possible. When just sipping I like a nice microbrew. Never cared for MGD or High Life. I do like Blatz and Schlitz though. I don’t like what Blatz makes my digestive system go through later. Bad things man, bad things.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Wow. Not only do you admit to “loving” Miller Lite (which is the sour tastingest shit I have ever drank)…you manage to trump this by referring to Budweiser as “shit” and them on up yourself by openly admitting to liking Schlitz. You are a walking, talking, posting contradiction.
      You do realize people read these posts. Right?

7. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Now all I can think about is barbecue and beer… My god, living right outside the city of Boston can be an awful tease when you’re craving. Theres no way I’m taking a 15 minute train ride while the games already on. You know you’re so close, yet so far from amazing food and beer of any kind. I guess I’m going to have to settle for hole in the wall Chinese, and convenience store special beer again…

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM

What a shame they surprised us by playing Game 1 tonight or you might have had a chance to shop in advance of it. :-)

8. tfbuckfutter - Oct 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Anheuser Busch continues betting that Americans will drink a lot of pee-water if they just keep the advertising machine rolling.

9. titansbro - Oct 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM

There are plenty of great local beers in & around Boston, but Sam Adams’ seasonal beers are always great. Not a Boston lager guy. During the 2 weeks prior to the Boston marathon, they serve a special beer called 26.2 at all the restaurants & bars along the marathon route. No BS, it’s heaven in a glass.

10. mvd513 - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:55 AM

hm so the beer from Boston is one people have actually heard of

11. denverwally - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Kind of a fun bet, beats those lame Mayor vs. Mayor bets. So even if your team loses, you get to try some delicious beer in the losing city. Not such a bad consolation prize. Love Harpoon, like Sam Adams, and I have never tried Schlafley but would love to give it a shot if I could find some out here in Denver.

Three legends off to Cooperstown