Oct 23, 2013, 7:43 PM EST
The fine folks at Schlafly Brand Beer in St. Louis — try their outstanding Pumpkin Ale or Coffee Stout if you ever get a chance — have established World Series bets with two Boston-based breweries, Harpoon and Boston Beer Company (the makers of Sam Adams). From the Beer Employee Blog at Schlafly.com:
The wager between our fearless leader, Dan Kopman and Harpoon president Dan Kenary is fairly straightforward. Whoever loses has to put a keg of beer from the other brewery on tap at their tasting room. If St. Louis loses, look for a keg of Harpoon IPA pour from our Schlafly Tap Room taps. If the Cardinals prevail…when the Cardinals prevail, beer drinkers visiting Harpoon in Boston will have a chance to taste what 12 World Series Championships tastes like. And by that we mean to say that 12 World Series Championships tastes like Schlafly Beer… just to be clear.
Dan Kopman and Samuel Adams founder, Jim Koch also got to talking about the upcoming Series, and decided that a bet was in order. Before all was said and done, Jim had offered up two cases of Boston Lager and a lobster dinner. Not to be outdone, Dan not only offered up some Schlafly Pale Ale and BBQ dinner from Pappy’s Smokehouse… he then raised the stakes to include the losing city shipping off a brewer, all expense paid, to the winning city’s brewery to help brew a victory beer.
I happen to live right across the street from the Schlafly Tap Room, so this all makes me very happy.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)