Oct 23, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT
The fine folks at Schlafly Brand Beer in St. Louis — try their outstanding Pumpkin Ale or Coffee Stout if you ever get a chance — have established World Series bets with two Boston-based breweries, Harpoon and Boston Beer Company (the makers of Sam Adams). From the Beer Employee Blog at Schlafly.com:
The wager between our fearless leader, Dan Kopman and Harpoon president Dan Kenary is fairly straightforward. Whoever loses has to put a keg of beer from the other brewery on tap at their tasting room. If St. Louis loses, look for a keg of Harpoon IPA pour from our Schlafly Tap Room taps. If the Cardinals prevail…when the Cardinals prevail, beer drinkers visiting Harpoon in Boston will have a chance to taste what 12 World Series Championships tastes like. And by that we mean to say that 12 World Series Championships tastes like Schlafly Beer… just to be clear.
Dan Kopman and Samuel Adams founder, Jim Koch also got to talking about the upcoming Series, and decided that a bet was in order. Before all was said and done, Jim had offered up two cases of Boston Lager and a lobster dinner. Not to be outdone, Dan not only offered up some Schlafly Pale Ale and BBQ dinner from Pappy’s Smokehouse… he then raised the stakes to include the losing city shipping off a brewer, all expense paid, to the winning city’s brewery to help brew a victory beer.
I happen to live right across the street from the Schlafly Tap Room, so this all makes me very happy.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)