Oct 23, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
Personally: I’d limit my defense of A-Rod to one centering on the disproportionate suspension he received rather than argue that he didn’t take any PEDs at all. Partially because of what the Biogenesis documents are reported to contain, partially because no one else associated with Biogenesis has claimed that they didn’t do it and partially because I don’t feel like I’d trust A-Rod enough to take his word for it.
Oh, also: I don’t feel like a lot of other people would buy it either. Better to err on the side of plausibility, yes?
Well, I’m not Joe Tacopina. And Mr. Tacopina is known to take bold stances. He’s doing so again:
Tacopina told CNN that Rodriguez had “absolutely not” taken illegal PEDs recently and challenged the notion that MLB possesses any evidence to the contrary.
As we’ve seen in the past, it’s possible to parse the term “illegal” in the phrase “illegal PEDs.” MLB bans lots of things, after all, that you, I or anyone else can go purchase at GNC or get from a physician. There’s also that whole bit about how stuff that is illegal here is not illegal in other countries. There’s also the fact that a lawyer saying something to CNN is different than actually arguing such a thing in an arbitration and that Tacopina has been all about the P.R. aspects of this case for some time.
Still, pretty interesting tack to take. As is some of the stuff in the linked article describing how this case is turning into a battle between MLB and A-Rod to portray the other as being sleazier in its efforts to obtain evidence.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Orioles, Reds, and Mariners are among the possible landing spots for the 32-year-old free agent corner outfielder.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
Jeff Samardzija, former Cubs starter and recent White Sox trade acquisition, was welcomed back to the Windy City prior to Tuesday night’s NHL game between the Chicago Blackhawks and visiting Minnesota Wild …
Dec 17, 2014, 9:24 PM EST
David Hernandez looked like a non-tender candidate after undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in April, but the Diamondbacks decided to keep him around …
Dec 17, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Marlins, Braves, and Giants have all expressed interest in free agent starter Jake Peavy …
Dec 17, 2014, 7:02 PM EST
From CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman comes word that the Royals have agreed to terms on a two-year, $20 million free agent contract with Edinson Volquez.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
A three-team, 11-player trade has been agreed upon between the Rays, Padres, and Nationals. It centers around outfielder Wil Myers.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
He is expected to be able to resume baseball activities before Spring Training begins.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
One-time Red Sox prospect trying to snag a bench gig.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
If you don’t love Pedro Martinez there is no helping you.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
Sticking together after seven seasons.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
The pitcher denies there were issues. But now he’s off to Boston, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
Wil Myers’ replacement in Tampa Bay?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:53 PM EST
And if it blows up, it could impact the Jimmy Rollins trade too.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Sox are getting themselves a handy reliever.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Seattle is looking for right-handed bats.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Right team, even if he picked the wrong position.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re getting lots of calls on him, though.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
It appears as though it’ll only be a two-team trade, with Myers heading to San Diego.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Which could have some baseball implications
Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
But he could start the home opener
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)