The HBT staff makes its World Series predictions

Oct 23, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT

Oracle of Delphi

If you think about it (and look at it a bit sideways, with one eye-closed), this isn’t a seven game World Series. It’s a best of 169, with the 97-65 Red Sox and 97-65 Cardinals in a dead heat before their final games.

OK, maybe that’s not true. But if it were, it would absolve us from making any sort of prediction, because all of us here at HardballTalk already whiffed on a 169-game prediction. We took the Nationals or the Tigers or someone back in March, so claiming we have some sort of clairvoyance now is disingenuous in the extreme. But, hey, that’s baseball, right? We can know an awful lot about it — and I think we do — yet still have no idea what’s gonna happen. Indeed, some crazy people may argue that that’s what makes it so cool.

But of course, convention is such that people who opine about baseball are supposed to make predictions. And we will. Even though this is one of the more evenly-matched World Series in living memory. Even though anything can happen. Even though Silva is a degenerate Cardinals fan and most of the rest of us couldn’t give a care one way or the other, thereby infusing our predictions with a fun mix of both bias and indifference.

But here goes:

• Craig: Cardinals in seven because, well, I don’t know and I kinda like their starting pitching. Still not abandoning my pick of the Nationals to win it all. DON’T COUNT THEM OUT!
  • Aaron: Cardinals in six. He didn’t say why, but I’ll assume it’s because he really doesn’t want a Game 7 interfering with his trick-or-treating next Thursday.
  • D.J.: “Cardinals in six games. Carlos Beltran WS MVP (the only way such an outcome is palatable for me).” Mets fans: even more degenerate than Cards fans.
  • Drew: He eventually said Cardinals in six. For a while he didn’t respond to my email asking for a prediction because he was busy posting insane crap like this on Twitter. I’m actually surprised he didn’t pick the Cards in two “because of Ditka” or something. He claims this is an unbiased selection, though, so we’ll take him at his word.
  • Matthew: Red Sox in six. This is quite the improvement over his last Red Sox prediction.
  • Bill: “Cardinals in five.” Please excuse his curtness, though. He’s too busy sobbing over footage of the Joe Carter home run, which happened 20 years ago today.

So that’s that. Given our usual level of accuracy, I think these predictions mean that the 1969 Seattle Pilots will prevail over the 1874 New York Mutals in 11 games, with Brabender going the distance with a two-hit shutout.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

The entire sports world seems to be in favor of either Cardinals in 6 or 7. Which means, it will probably be Sox in 4 just to mess with everyone. All I know is, no matter what, we have a maximum of 7 more times we will be forced to listen to Tim McCarver and Joe Buck together.

That is until next year. :(

• stex52 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM

That’s a plus and a minus, scouts. Even if it means listening to them, at least it’s baseball. After this, the void.

• chiadam - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

In my view, as good as the Yankees were in the first half of this game, that’s how as bad they’ve been now.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

There’s a button for that problem, it’s called Mute.

• jm91rs - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I don’t know why everyone hates Buck and McCarver. For years the only time I hear their voices is during playoff games so I guess I equate their voices with the excitement of the playoffs. There’s no better time for a baseball fan and I guess I give them a little credit for the exciting games they call.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I just watch the games in Spanish to avoid the Buck-ness, despite not speaking Spanish.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

This is how I feel about Joe Buck and Tim McCarver

2. joestemme - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

5 Cards to 1 Sox?!

Lots of crows and hats will be eaten by this staff.

How many of these “writers” are based in or fans of the NL?

• stex52 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

So you think being an NL fan automatically makes you a Cards fan? I suggest you spend a little more time checking the comments on this site.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM

That logic seems to work for SEC football, right?

So do I now have to root for the Red Sox as an Angels fan? Ugh…

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

You do realize that less than a half hour ago, this very site posted an article titled “The biggest reason to root for the Red Sox to win the World Series.” That was essentially an article making fun of the Cardinals.

• chiadam - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

How can someone be based in the NL?

• joestemme - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Based in an NL city where you see mostly NL teams play. Lots of writers will admit that bias.

• stex52 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

“Lots of???” Well, now that you have nailed that one down…………

• nategearhart - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Dude, it’s a prediction. It has nothing to do with preference or desire or anything of the sort. It’s just a prediction.

• raysfan1 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM

None of the writers make a secret of their personal rooting interest (two are even mentioned in the article) and all cover both leagues…but if you insist and truly didn’t already know:
      Craig–Braves
      DJ–Mets
      Drew–Cards
      Bill–Phillies
      Aaron–Twins

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Obviously, Matthew is secretly a Red Sox fan, but do not tell anyone.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Matthew-Giants.

• joestemme - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

That’s 4 NL guys right there.

All you Thumbs Down reactionaries. I’m NOT saying that it’s an inside job and that these NL based writers will automatically pick the Cards. It’s just that they probably have seen a lot more of the Cards than the Sox. Doesn’t mean they are pro-STL/anti-Bos, it’s just what they are more familiar with them.

• raysfan1 - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM

While I see your point, I must disagree. The writers all cover both leagues and as a result watch both leagues’ games daily.

• jm91rs - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Huge NL fan here. Even bigger Cards hater here. asismonetti88 is right, you must be an SEC football fan or something.

• joestemme - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I don’t watch college football at all. But, as with the “east coast bias” folks can’t help, even unconsciously, a bit of comfort and familiarity if they watch one league more than the other.

I am a Red Sox fan, but, I live in an NL city. Still, I watch Red Sox games more closely (and often) than NL games.

I think this is a dead-even series. The only tipping point is home field advantage and Fenway Park and all its eccentricities. Thank MLB and their ‘wisdom’ in letting the All-Star game dictate home field.

3. cohnjusack - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Tsk Tsk Tsk. More east cost bias. 5 of the 6 picked the Cardinals because they want Boston to be the underdogs and the underdogs always win. Except for Matthew, you clearly hates the Cardinals which is why he’s picking the Red Sox.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

How dare you besmirch Matthew’s reputation? My barber’s neighbour’s mother knows someone who says that her-son-in-law believes that Matthew is secretly a fan of the Red Sox.

4. cabrera24 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I’m a die hard phillies Fan but I will be rooting for the Red Sox . Red Sox in seven games .

5. cincinata - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I can’t agree with the “experts” at HBT. If the cards win, it will have to be in 7 games. Home field advantage counts for a lot, and up to now, the Sox older players have brought a lot of experience to the game. Beside that, many of these older players are having career years, esp, in the pitching staff. So, let the games begin and we will see who wins.

6. chiadam - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Barves in four.

7. ltzep75 - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Expos in…1994

8. spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Count me in as one of the Crazies Craig. That said, I have more confidence than normal for a Cards team in the WS. Generally I am perpetually scared to death of anybody who faces the Red Birds and can find innumerable reasons why they may not succeed, but for the life of me, I honestly believe the St. Louis nine will prevail.

Here is why. First off, I am most convinced the Red Sox starters will not shut down the Cards hitters. If I am wrong, then the Cards could be in for some serious disappointment. Maybe Lester, mostly cause he is a lefty, but he is more of a power guy and most of the Cards lefty difficulties come from the soft-tossing variety. Perhaps because I have never cared for Lackey that I undervalue him, but I am looking forward to his outing. Then Buckholtz, who was shaky in his last outing and the Sox decided to pitch him on the road in hostile environment, which I believe was unwise, although I understand that gives Lackey a second start. Then Peavy who the Cards are familiar with and was horrid in last post-season outing, and unlike Lackey is a guy who I always admired, but pitched like a guy who had no faith in his stuff, and tried to resort to tricking the opposition, a strategy that isn’t likely to succeed vs. St. Louis.

Reason two, Molina takes away the Red Sox running game. Period. Maybe Elsberry gets one or two, but if the Beantown boys were smart they wouldn’t tempt fate often, cause it is an exercise in futility.

Reason three, the Red Sox style of working the pitcher isn’t likely to be particularly effective against strike throwers Wainwright and Wacha. And while both Kelly and Lynn are more susceptible to that approach, they are at home, and if wise will pound the strike zone with their above average heaters.

Reason four. Sox get hurt by the lack of DH in St. Louis, when they have the best chance to score runs.

Reason five. The Patch.

And with that said, good luck to the Red Sox, and may the team that plays the best win, and the above may prove to be meaningless drivel and fodder for post-series crow eating.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Love the breakdown. I am excited that this series is finally going to start!

9. proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

The Cubs are going to win it once Hell Freezes Over.

• spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Ever heard the joke about the Viking fans in Hades?

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Do tell!

• spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I did, but lost it and had to redo, much to my chagrin, so it is a couple of comments below.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Hilarious! I think they’ll be competitive within 2-3 years with Theo at the helm, but that’s just me.

10. gostlcards5 - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I’m stunned that you picked the Cardinals, Craig. I can only assume that you believe that will be the KOD for them, as it apparently is for the Barves (in your mind).

11. spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Ok, even though telling a Football story on the opening day of the WS is probably sacrilege.

Here Goes. One day a busload of Minnesotans north of Bemiji, runs off an icy road killing all the agnostic Scandinavian riders. So later that day the entire group shows up in Hell, en masse. The Devil instructs his “Imp-in-Charge” to keep the group together, take them to the depths of Hades, and crank up the heat. Turn it up more than normal, stating “I never cared for those Stoic bastards, nothin’ bothers them”.

So the Imp does as directed, and in an hour or so returns to check on their fate. All he hears are gleeful echoes, and warm chatter, and is bewildered so he goes to tell the Devil of the news. When the Devil is puzzled he asks why everybody is cheerful and the Imp says he overheard one say it was the first time he was truly warm in his life.

So Satan replies, to crank the temp down to 100 below zero, “and I’ll show these Norse fuckers what cold really is”. So the Imp goes and does as instructed.

Then about an hour goes by and now the Imp hears nothing but loud cheers, hollering, laughing and generally boisterous happiness. So he returns to the dungeon, and watches the exuberant bunch going absolutely wild with joy. So he informs Beezebub, and he goes and checks on them himself.

Entering the dungeon he sees nothing but a partying mad-house. He demands an explanation, and one of the groups leaders steps forward. The Devil demands a reason for the glee. And he gets this response. “Well, if Hell is freezing over, then the Vikings must have won the Super Bowl.”

• gostlcards5 - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM

NICE!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Well done. So there is a hope for the Cubs.

• spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yes, but Global Warming may make that point moot.

12. brent05cards - Oct 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM

idiots! Go Red Sox

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)