Oct 23, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Lineups for Game 1 at Fenway Park …
As expected Allen Craig is in the lineup at designated hitter, playing for the first time September 4, and he’s back in the cleanup spot versus left-hander Jon Lester. Lefty bat Matt Adams moves down in the order and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has again benched Jon Jay in favor of righty bat Shane Robinson.
SP Jon Lester
Red Sox manager John Farrell is yet again going with righty bat Jonny Gomes over switch-hitter Daniel Nava in left field versus a right-handed pitcher. Nava hit .322 off righties during the regular season and Gomes is 5-for-25 (.200) with zero homers in the playoffs, so … who knows.
Farrell has also benched Wil Middlebrooks at third base, moving rookie Xander Bogaerts into the lineup just like he did in the ALCS finale. And behind the plate David Ross gets the start over Jarrod Saltalamacchia with Jon Lester on the mound.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 11
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 16
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)