Oct 23, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Lineups for Game 1 at Fenway Park …
As expected Allen Craig is in the lineup at designated hitter, playing for the first time September 4, and he’s back in the cleanup spot versus left-hander Jon Lester. Lefty bat Matt Adams moves down in the order and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has again benched Jon Jay in favor of righty bat Shane Robinson.
SP Jon Lester
Red Sox manager John Farrell is yet again going with righty bat Jonny Gomes over switch-hitter Daniel Nava in left field versus a right-handed pitcher. Nava hit .322 off righties during the regular season and Gomes is 5-for-25 (.200) with zero homers in the playoffs, so … who knows.
Farrell has also benched Wil Middlebrooks at third base, moving rookie Xander Bogaerts into the lineup just like he did in the ALCS finale. And behind the plate David Ross gets the start over Jarrod Saltalamacchia with Jon Lester on the mound.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 1
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 30
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)