World Series, Game 1: Cardinals-Red Sox lineups

Oct 23, 2013, 4:30 PM EST

2013 World Series Media Day Getty Images

Lineups for Game 1 at Fenway Park …

Cardinals:
2B Matt Carpenter
RF Carlos Beltran
LF Matt Holliday
DH Allen Craig
C Yadier Molina
3B David Freese
1B Matt Adams
CF Shane Robinson
SS Pete Kozma

SP Adam Wainwright

As expected Allen Craig is in the lineup at designated hitter, playing for the first time September 4, and he’s back in the cleanup spot versus left-hander Jon Lester. Lefty bat Matt Adams moves down in the order and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has again benched Jon Jay in favor of righty bat Shane Robinson.

Red Sox:
CF Jacoby Ellsbury
RF Shane Victorino
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
1B Mike Napoli
LF Jonny Gomes
3B Xander Bogaerts
SS Stephen Drew
C David Ross

SP Jon Lester

Red Sox manager John Farrell is yet again going with righty bat Jonny Gomes over switch-hitter Daniel Nava in left field versus a right-handed pitcher. Nava hit .322 off righties during the regular season and Gomes is 5-for-25 (.200) with zero homers in the playoffs, so … who knows.

Farrell has also benched Wil Middlebrooks at third base, moving rookie Xander Bogaerts into the lineup just like he did in the ALCS finale. And behind the plate David Ross gets the start over Jarrod Saltalamacchia with Jon Lester on the mound.

1. spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Perfect Matheny. And were I a Sox fan, I would think he is pushing the right buttons too. The weather is troubling though, and while both teams have to play in it, the Sox are somewhat more accustomed. Ought to be fun. Good Luck Boston.

• paperlions - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM

If game time temperatures are in the 30s tonight, it’ll be the first time this year Boston has played in a game at those temps. The lowest temp in Boston so far this baseball season has been 44F. I don’t think any of the players will be particularly accustomed to it.

• booshirayray - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

The weather in St. Louis is comparable to that here in Boston (in fact, it will be colder there than here tonight, and raining as well). It also won’t go any lower than 40 tonight for the game. It’s not like Boston is some magically much colder place than the rest of the country.

• spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

A couple of days ago I checked the forecasts in both cities, and had MLB not tried to stretch the post-season out, the weather would have been better in both cities had the gap between both the WC, and WS started one day earlier. Screw ratings.

2. unclemosesgreen - Oct 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Johnny Gomes fits into the Kevin Millar role too neatly to get benched. His beard & personality have become talismanic.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Johnny Gomes certainly looks manic.

• spudchukar - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Cards have faced him a lot. But Ross looked like he was swinging the bat very well in his last game, and Drew has a history of hurting the Cards if my memory serves me, which it seldom does, so I don’t know why I would count on it. Anyway they concern me, but that said Good Luck Uncle, even though I hope you Go Down Moses.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I wish you good luck & the Cardinals many errors & bloops against. :)

3. sabatimus - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The last Farrell press conference I heard was that Farrell was basically going with Gomes due to intangibles, and because they won the ALCS with him in the lineup.

The Sox also set an ALCS record for most times being struck out….with Gomes in the lineup. I don’t like Farrell’s reasoning, when Nava has proven himself to be so much better against righties. I like Gomes, I like his wild beard, but I absolutely would not start him tonight.

4. pcoochop - Oct 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

overthinking it much boston? too many moves against the wrong pitcher hell even bullpen, the cards will win the series due to good management

5. yahmule - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Way to go there, Blue. First goddamn inning.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Holy moley they actually got a call right!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6309)