Oct 24, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: MLB has issued a statement saying the video was inconclusive. So, basically, this little controversy is over.
9:30 AM: Well here’s some fun fodder to tide us over until game time!
Tyler Melling, a minor league pitcher in the Cardinals organization, took to Twitter last night to ask whether Jon Lester was adding a little foreign substance to the ball:
Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight? pic.twitter.com/IyQn2iqg5f
— Tyler Melling (@TylerMelling) October 24, 2013
— Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) October 24, 2013
And here’s another pic of Lester’s glove:
Interesting. Inconclusive — he could just as easily be wiping sweat off his fingers as he is wiping goo on, or he could just be doing weird OCD crap like touching the strings of his glove, etc. — but interesting.
Let’s see if this gets any traction. Especially given the source of the speculation.
(thanks to @Justin_Shea for alerting me to this)
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 23
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)