Oct 24, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
UPDATE: MLB has issued a statement saying the video was inconclusive. So, basically, this little controversy is over.
9:30 AM: Well here’s some fun fodder to tide us over until game time!
Tyler Melling, a minor league pitcher in the Cardinals organization, took to Twitter last night to ask whether Jon Lester was adding a little foreign substance to the ball:
Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight? pic.twitter.com/IyQn2iqg5f
— Tyler Melling (@TylerMelling) October 24, 2013
— Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) October 24, 2013
And here’s another pic of Lester’s glove:
Interesting. Inconclusive — he could just as easily be wiping sweat off his fingers as he is wiping goo on, or he could just be doing weird OCD crap like touching the strings of his glove, etc. — but interesting.
Let’s see if this gets any traction. Especially given the source of the speculation.
(thanks to @Justin_Shea for alerting me to this)
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)