Oct 24, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
UPDATE: MLB has issued a statement saying the video was inconclusive. So, basically, this little controversy is over.
9:30 AM: Well here’s some fun fodder to tide us over until game time!
Tyler Melling, a minor league pitcher in the Cardinals organization, took to Twitter last night to ask whether Jon Lester was adding a little foreign substance to the ball:
Jon Lester using a little Vaseline inside the glove tonight? pic.twitter.com/IyQn2iqg5f
— Tyler Melling (@TylerMelling) October 24, 2013
— Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) October 24, 2013
And here’s another pic of Lester’s glove:
Interesting. Inconclusive — he could just as easily be wiping sweat off his fingers as he is wiping goo on, or he could just be doing weird OCD crap like touching the strings of his glove, etc. — but interesting.
Let’s see if this gets any traction. Especially given the source of the speculation.
(thanks to @Justin_Shea for alerting me to this)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)