Oct 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Not much went right for the Cardinals in Game 1 last night, but one bit of positive news is that Allen Craig had no problems with his foot while playing for the first time since September 4.
Craig went 1-for-4 with a single as the designated hitter and cleanup man, saying afterward: “I felt good to be out there.”
Because of his foot injury Craig was expected to exclusively play designated hitter in the games at Fenway Park and then likely serve as a pinch-hitter in the games at Busch Stadium, but if Carlos Beltran is forced to sit with a rib injury the Cardinals could certainly use Craig in right field.
He has plenty of experience there, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com writes that “he hasn’t done much in the field while preparing for a return and it’s iffy whether he’ll be able to play defense when the series shifts to St. Louis.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17