Oct 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Not much went right for the Cardinals in Game 1 last night, but one bit of positive news is that Allen Craig had no problems with his foot while playing for the first time since September 4.
Craig went 1-for-4 with a single as the designated hitter and cleanup man, saying afterward: “I felt good to be out there.”
Because of his foot injury Craig was expected to exclusively play designated hitter in the games at Fenway Park and then likely serve as a pinch-hitter in the games at Busch Stadium, but if Carlos Beltran is forced to sit with a rib injury the Cardinals could certainly use Craig in right field.
He has plenty of experience there, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com writes that “he hasn’t done much in the field while preparing for a return and it’s iffy whether he’ll be able to play defense when the series shifts to St. Louis.”
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 45
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 35
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)