Oct 24, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Not much went right for the Cardinals in Game 1 last night, but one bit of positive news is that Allen Craig had no problems with his foot while playing for the first time since September 4.
Craig went 1-for-4 with a single as the designated hitter and cleanup man, saying afterward: “I felt good to be out there.”
Because of his foot injury Craig was expected to exclusively play designated hitter in the games at Fenway Park and then likely serve as a pinch-hitter in the games at Busch Stadium, but if Carlos Beltran is forced to sit with a rib injury the Cardinals could certainly use Craig in right field.
He has plenty of experience there, but Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com writes that “he hasn’t done much in the field while preparing for a return and it’s iffy whether he’ll be able to play defense when the series shifts to St. Louis.”
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)