Cardinals take Game 2 to even up World Series against Red Sox

Oct 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT

The World Series will head back to St. Louis all evened up.

After falling in Game 1 of the World Series last night, the Cardinals bounced back tonight with a 4-2 victory over the Red Sox in Game 2.

The Cardinals got on the board first with an RBI ground out from Yadier Molina in the bottom of the top of the fourth inning, but the Red Sox pulled ahead against Michael Wacha when David Ortiz connected for a two-run blast — his 17th career postseason homer — over the Green Monster in the bottom of the sixth. However, the Red Sox failed to hold the lead for long, as errors from Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Craig Breslow on the same play opened the door for the Cardinals to move ahead in the top of the seventh. Carlos Beltran, who left Game 1 with a rib contusion, added an insurance run with an RBI single.

The defensive implosion wasted a solid effort from John Lackey, who ended up being charged with three runs over 6 1/3 innings. Wacha walked away with the victory, even though he wasn’t as sharp as he was in previous postseason outings. The 22-year-old walked four batters and threw 65 out of 114 pitches for strikes, but only Ortiz got to him. The Cardinals relied on more youth to finish off the win, as Carlos Martinez tossed two scoreless innings — and danced around trouble in the eighth — and Trevor Rosenthal struck out the side in the ninth to notch the save. All three pitchers used by the Cardinals tonight were 23 years old or younger.

Friday is a travel day, so the World Series will resume Saturday night at Busch Stadium. Joe Kelly will be on the mound for St. Louis in Game 3 while Jake Peavy will start for Boston.

1. fnf417 - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

This young pitching of Stl. Is good and continue to play well in the post season!

2. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

This is irrelevant to the article for the most part, but the 2-3-2 playoff structure in the MLB playoffs angers me. If a team earns homefield advantage (even if I think the way a team earns it in the World Series angers me just as much…) than all they have to do is lose 1 of the first 2 games at home, and now the visiting team has a MUCH bigger homefield advantage- 3 straight games at home in which to close out the series. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

• sabatimus - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Totally agree. I’d go with a 2-2-1-1-1 myself.

• fatheruburu - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Agreed. I know the logic with the 2-3-2 is to minimize travel days. But this is the World Series for pete’s sake. LCS can be 2-3-2 but the Series ought to be 2-2-1-1-1 no matter what.

• dan1111 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:04 AM

An even longer World Series is a very bad idea. It is not just the fact that the playoffs already take a long time. Adding more off days also ruins the series strategically, because it allows teams to start their top pitchers even more often. In a 2-2-1-1-1, you could use three starters and have only one short rest start. You could even have two starters start six of the games (three short rest starts, one on normal rest). And the top two or three relievers could pitch nearly all of the relief innings.

I don’t see the problem with 2-3-2, anyway. The ideal situation would be complete neutrality for the playoffs, so home field advantage should be as small as possible. That is especially true for the World Series, when the awarding of home field advantage has nothing to do with the teams themselves.

• sportfandc - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM

2-3-2 is less of an advantage for the top seed. This is the reason that the NBA just decided to go back to 2-2-1-1-1, i.e. to award the team with the better regular season record. And, it’s the reason that baseball should stay with the current format, since “earning” the top seed is such a farce anyway.

• emykk - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I agree (even thought it’s working to my team’s advantage at this point). However, it would seem more important to me that the LCS be 2-2-1-1-1 because at least home field advantage is earned in the LCS. Top seed in the WS is just a joke (thanks for that, Bud).

• doc - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM

You’re conclusion doesn’t follow from your premise, and you’ve skipped argument entirely.

• doc - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

You’re = your

• gibbyfan - Oct 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I wouldnt be in favor of it because it takes too much away from the home fans but could use the NFL model and play at a neutral site……..

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Rather than the 2-2-1-1-1 scenario, if you really want to both 1) ensure that the team with home field advantage has it, and 2) minimize travel days, then the format should be 3-3-1.

The series for which this would have the greatest effect is the WS because of the DH, but in general, home field advantage has a pretty small effect in baseball. Over an entire season, the effect is usually about 10 wins, which translates to roughly a 10% change in likelihood of winning a particular game…so teams are a default 55/45 favorite at home. Really, not that big of a deal.

• jarathen - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I like the idea that a knotted-up series after 6 would go to the “home team” advantage, but it would also mean that most home team advantage teams would win in front of the “wrong” fans.

I think 2-3-2 is fine. If you lose a game at home you should be able to win one away, too, or else you’re just getting steamrolled anyway.

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

True enough.

I like 2-3-3 just fine, but 3-3-1 makes far more sense than 2-2-1-1-1.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I hear what you are saying PJJ. I mean that. However, please read Dan’s post. It’s spot on.

• doc - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Agreed. Here’s the way I look at it. There should never be a point in a 7 game postseason series when the team without homefield advantage is allowed an advantage even for one game. This is what happens presently in game 5 of both the LCS and World Series.

• doc - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Not to mention a huge psychological advantage if they happen to merely split the first two away games.

3. apkyletexas - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I for one welcome our new Wacha overlord.

No reason to even talk about any other young players any longer. PLEASE don’t try to shove Bryce Harper or Stephen Strasburg hype down my throat anymore.

THIS is what a young superstar looks like.

• 18thstreet - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Home field advantage in baseball isn’t as big as in other sports. I think the home team wins about 52-53 percent of the time. Compare that to men’s college basketball, where the home team wins 100 percent* of the time. (*as far as I can tell).

And, let’s face it, neither the Red Sox nor the Cardinals really *earned* home field advantage. It’s not like within the leagues, where the Cardinals had the most wins in the NL and the Red Sox had the most wins in the AL. The Red Sox have home field because the American League — no thanks to members of the Red Sox, if I recall, won the All Star Game.

4. sabatimus - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Ok Farrell can we PLEASE: 1) Start ANYONE in place of Stephen Drew, and 2) start Nava? For crying out loud.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I honestly believe Bogaerts can do what Drew has at shortstop. I for one don’t like seeing Middlebrooks out, even though I love having Xander in. Middlebrooks can get on a hot streak like anyone else, and has bat power when he does.

As far as Nava.. yes. Please God.

• sabatimus - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Middlebrooks might have been bad in the playoffs, but he can have such a pop to his bat at the drop of a hat. (I just unintentionally rhymed) Drew is great defensively but is it really worth the sub-.100 BA? I don’t think so. And that hit he got in this series? It was the ball that dropped between Wainwright and Molina in Game 1. SIT HIM DOWN.

5. Glenn - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Start Nava instead of Gomes against righties? What next – ask Farrell to change his lucky bench seat?

6. sabatimus - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Have fun thumbing up your own posts, sh*t tech.

7. kevjones75 - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Carl Hancock - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Wah. World Series format isn’t changing. This isn’t basketball. World Series already bleeds into November when it used to be wrapped up by the end of October. 2-2-1-1-1 would stretch it out even further because no way do teams agree to it without a travel day in between. You people come up with some absurd stuff. Home field advantage nets you 4 out of 7 possible games with the opportunity to go up 2-0 right off the bat. Enough with the “But the other team gets 3 in a row…”, if they’re the better team it won’t matter if they have home field advantage or not. Deal with it.

9. Stiller43 - Oct 25, 2013 at 7:04 AM

How about they eliminate the idiotic “travel days” when they travel? They go through 6 months of playing a game, flying to the next stop, and playing more the next day – but suddenly in the postseason 7 games in 7 or 8 games is impossble

10. natalierosen - Oct 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I felt like I was punched in the stomach. I thought at home the Sox would win BUT the Cardinals are now I see NOT to be underestimated. They have young pitchers that throw steamers over 90 mph and that reliever oh my god Rosenthal he threw a 98 MPH fastball. Who the heck could hit that? It’s like trying to hit something propelled out of a shotgun. I wished he was on the Sox.
    They missed opportunities and a couple of bad throw errors sank them!: Now I’m not sure if they will do it. I think they play in St. Louis for three games??? not sure. Worried and sad. Why the heck am I sad I’m not making one thin dime! Why am I sad? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my city and my state. tribal allegiance! and I love Big Poppi. Depressed today :(

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Mom, is that you?

I swear, this is what my mother sounds like after games. She gets so into it, and this is the type of reasoning I get. It kind of makes me smile.

One small gripe- Why would you want a guy because he throws 98 when we have a guy that throws 89 that is unhittable?

11. vozmo - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM

“…in the bottom of the top of the fourth inning”

That would be WHEN exactly?

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I think that is two outs in the top of the forth.

0 outs in top of 4th = top of the top of the 4th
      1 out in top of 4th = middle of the top of the 4th
      2 outs in top of 4th = bottom of the top of the 4th
      3 outs in top of 4th = middle of the 4th
      etc.

• vozmo - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM

So if the batter at the plate has 1 strike that would be the middle of the bottom of the top of the 4th?

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Of course.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Wow. I think you nailed it Paper. Now I leave you as I have to take 3 ibuprofen.
        Thanks a lot Man.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Well played, paper…

12. jarathen - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM

People wringing their hands after Game 1 can relax. It’s a long Series. Good on the Cardinals for playing better, and one dumb throw completely changed the game like it can in baseball.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline