Oct 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EST
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have confirmed that Joe Kelly will start Game 3 of the World Series against the Red Sox on Saturday in St. Louis. He’ll square off against veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
After posting a 2.69 ERA in 15 starts and 22 relief appearances during the regular season, Kelly has a 4.41 ERA and 13/6 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings over three postseason starts. He hasn’t pitched since Game 5 of the NLCS last Wednesday, so he’ll be going on nine days’ rest.
As for who will start Game 4 on Sunday, well, that’s still up in the air. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny hasn’t ruled out using Adam Wainwright depending on how dire things might be. Lance Lynn is the alternative for the assignment.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 19
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 18
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)