Oct 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have confirmed that Joe Kelly will start Game 3 of the World Series against the Red Sox on Saturday in St. Louis. He’ll square off against veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
After posting a 2.69 ERA in 15 starts and 22 relief appearances during the regular season, Kelly has a 4.41 ERA and 13/6 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings over three postseason starts. He hasn’t pitched since Game 5 of the NLCS last Wednesday, so he’ll be going on nine days’ rest.
As for who will start Game 4 on Sunday, well, that’s still up in the air. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny hasn’t ruled out using Adam Wainwright depending on how dire things might be. Lance Lynn is the alternative for the assignment.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)