Oct 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have confirmed that Joe Kelly will start Game 3 of the World Series against the Red Sox on Saturday in St. Louis. He’ll square off against veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
After posting a 2.69 ERA in 15 starts and 22 relief appearances during the regular season, Kelly has a 4.41 ERA and 13/6 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings over three postseason starts. He hasn’t pitched since Game 5 of the NLCS last Wednesday, so he’ll be going on nine days’ rest.
As for who will start Game 4 on Sunday, well, that’s still up in the air. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny hasn’t ruled out using Adam Wainwright depending on how dire things might be. Lance Lynn is the alternative for the assignment.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)