Oct 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have confirmed that Joe Kelly will start Game 3 of the World Series against the Red Sox on Saturday in St. Louis. He’ll square off against veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
After posting a 2.69 ERA in 15 starts and 22 relief appearances during the regular season, Kelly has a 4.41 ERA and 13/6 K/BB ratio in 16 1/3 innings over three postseason starts. He hasn’t pitched since Game 5 of the NLCS last Wednesday, so he’ll be going on nine days’ rest.
As for who will start Game 4 on Sunday, well, that’s still up in the air. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny hasn’t ruled out using Adam Wainwright depending on how dire things might be. Lance Lynn is the alternative for the assignment.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)