Oct 24, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
David Ortiz had one mammoth hit in the ALCS — a game-tying grand slam off Joaquin Benoit in Game 2 — but he finished just 2-for-22 for the series. Apart from the slam, he hadn’t driven in any runs in seven games.
His Game 1 of the World Series shouldn’t have started any better. With two on in the top of the first, he hit a double-play ball, only to have Matt Carpenter and Pete Kozma botch it, resulting in first one and then no outs after a John Farrell argument.
After that, it was bombs away. In the second, Ortiz hit what would have been his second grand slam in the postseason, but a lunging Carlos Beltran turned it into a sac fly, injuring himself in the process. In the fourth, he lined a single into center. And in the seventh, he got that homer, the first ever given up to a left-hander by Cardinals rookie reliever Kevin Siegrist. Left-handers hit .118 and slugged .127 against Siegrist in the regular season.
Obviously, it couldn’t have come at a better time for Boston, which went on to win 8-1. But it doesn’t make things a whole lot easier on manager John Farrell. He’s going to have to bench either Ortiz or Mike Napoli when the series shifts to Busch Stadium for Game 3. Napoli, like Ortiz, had a three-RBI game tonight, getting the scoring started with a bases-loaded double in the first. He was the Red Sox’s best hitter in the ALCS, going 6-for-20 with two homers and two doubles.
With the Cardinals throwing all right-handers, there’s no obvious play on how to share first base between Ortiz and Napoli in St. Louis. It’s expected that one will start Game 3, the other Game 4. We might not know until after Game 4 who will start Game 5, assuming there is a Game 5.
The big game tonight makes Ortiz 11-for-31 with two homers and 11 RBI in nine career World Series games. He still hasn’t lost one; the Red Sox are 9-0 in their last three World Series appearances.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)