Oct 24, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
David Ortiz had one mammoth hit in the ALCS — a game-tying grand slam off Joaquin Benoit in Game 2 — but he finished just 2-for-22 for the series. Apart from the slam, he hadn’t driven in any runs in seven games.
His Game 1 of the World Series shouldn’t have started any better. With two on in the top of the first, he hit a double-play ball, only to have Matt Carpenter and Pete Kozma botch it, resulting in first one and then no outs after a John Farrell argument.
After that, it was bombs away. In the second, Ortiz hit what would have been his second grand slam in the postseason, but a lunging Carlos Beltran turned it into a sac fly, injuring himself in the process. In the fourth, he lined a single into center. And in the seventh, he got that homer, the first ever given up to a left-hander by Cardinals rookie reliever Kevin Siegrist. Left-handers hit .118 and slugged .127 against Siegrist in the regular season.
Obviously, it couldn’t have come at a better time for Boston, which went on to win 8-1. But it doesn’t make things a whole lot easier on manager John Farrell. He’s going to have to bench either Ortiz or Mike Napoli when the series shifts to Busch Stadium for Game 3. Napoli, like Ortiz, had a three-RBI game tonight, getting the scoring started with a bases-loaded double in the first. He was the Red Sox’s best hitter in the ALCS, going 6-for-20 with two homers and two doubles.
With the Cardinals throwing all right-handers, there’s no obvious play on how to share first base between Ortiz and Napoli in St. Louis. It’s expected that one will start Game 3, the other Game 4. We might not know until after Game 4 who will start Game 5, assuming there is a Game 5.
The big game tonight makes Ortiz 11-for-31 with two homers and 11 RBI in nine career World Series games. He still hasn’t lost one; the Red Sox are 9-0 in their last three World Series appearances.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)