Oct 24, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
This report was sort of lost last night as it came during the game, but Don Mattingly and the Dodgers have apparently agreed to disagree about his long term future in Los Angeles and will reunite next season for what looks like what will be a lame duck year. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports:
Don Mattingly will return to manage the Dodgers next season. Mattingly and the Dodgers agreed on at least that much Wednesday, as both sides said they would honor their existing contract.
“Absolutely,” said Stan Kasten, the Dodgers’ president and primary decision maker.
Said Mattingly’s agent, Ray Schulte: “Donnie’s always been a man of his word and he’s under contract.”
This contrasts with Mattingly’s position earlier this week, in which he said he wouldn’t come back if the Dodgers merely exercised his 2014 option and did not extend him. This was followed by the Dodgers firing Mattingly’s friend and bench coach Trey Hillman. And it came when there are multiple job openings, including one on the Nationals, where Mattingly was once said to be a highly sought-after managerial candidate. Now, he’s back in Dodger blue. Maybe not peacefully. But he’s back.
One would think that the Dodgers would want to now work on a contract extension with Mattingly. Who, after all, did a pretty darn admirable job holding a team together that looked ready to crumble and had what, ultimately, was a pretty successful season.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
Maybe Houston is totally dysfunctional. But the idea that Porter didn’t know what he was getting into is off base.
Sep 2, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Preserved the shutout too.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 AM EDT
Four Phillies combine for the no-no. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen more of these in recent years.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera had just one home run in August. He doubled that today.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Bailey is currently deciding whether to undergo surgery for a flexor mass strain in his right elbow.
Jorge Soler is third player in last 100 years with an extra-base hit in each of his first five games
Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Enos Slaughter (1933) and Will Middlebrooks (2012) are the only others.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Acquired from the White Sox on Sunday, Adam Dunn made an instant impact in his A’s debut this afternoon.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Franco got off to a slow start this season, but he has been on a tear in Triple-A since the start of July.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have had at least a share of first place since April 4.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Pacific Coast League MVP is on his way to L.A.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Four pitchers, led by Cole Hamels, who handled six innings of it, combined to no-hit the Atlanta Braves.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
It sounds like Manny is a changed man
Sep 1, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
As the Marlins’ playoff chances fade.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
He was already unofficially shut down. Now it’s all official-like.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Reports of strife between Porter and the front office were apparently right on the nose.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Old Hoss Radbourn is an amateur.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
The Brewers are tied for first place and need a boost.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
Maybe Yost should just tell Royals fans the exact number of people he needs in the seats for his team to play at its best.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The A’s were, quite recently, the best team in baseball. Now they’re five back of the Angels.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Well, it’s not his (or his estate’s) house anymore. Likely wasn’t for decades. But if someone wants Jon Voight’s LeBaron, someone will probably buy this, right?
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 7
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 25
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)