Oct 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Washington has interviewed a bunch of candidates–and chosen not to interview Dusty Baker and Cal Ripken Jr.–and Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams is the front-runner to replace Davey Johnson as Nationals manager.
According to Ladson if the Nationals hire Williams as manager they’re hoping that Johnson’s old bench coach, Randy Knorr, will stick around in the same role after interviewing for the head gig himself.
Williams played 17 seasons in the majors and was the Diamondbacks’ third baseman back when current Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo was their scouting director. Washington would be choosing him over Knorr, Brad Ausmus, DeMarlo Hale, and Trent Jewett.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)