Oct 24, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Washington has interviewed a bunch of candidates–and chosen not to interview Dusty Baker and Cal Ripken Jr.–and Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams is the front-runner to replace Davey Johnson as Nationals manager.
According to Ladson if the Nationals hire Williams as manager they’re hoping that Johnson’s old bench coach, Randy Knorr, will stick around in the same role after interviewing for the head gig himself.
Williams played 17 seasons in the majors and was the Diamondbacks’ third baseman back when current Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo was their scouting director. Washington would be choosing him over Knorr, Brad Ausmus, DeMarlo Hale, and Trent Jewett.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17