Red Sox grab lead over Cardinals on blast from David Ortiz

Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT

David Ortiz AP AP

Somebody has finally solved Cardinals rookie right-hander Michael Wacha. And his name is David Ortiz.

After Wacha held the Red Sox scoreless over the first five innings, Ortiz connected for a two-run homer in the bottom of the sixth to give the Red Sox a 2-1 lead. The blast was set up after Wacha issued a one-out walk to Dustin Pedroia. Ortiz went opposite-field on a change-up and deposited it over the Green Monster. Wacha allowed just one run in 23 innings of work between the NLDS and NLCS , but he hasn’t been nearly as sharp tonight. Those Red Sox hitters have a way of making pitchers work.

While Wacha is done after throwing 114 pitches, John Lackey is still going strong as Game 2 moves into the top of the seventh inning at Fenway Park.

1. cohnjusack - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Bullshit. He’s probably doctoring his bat with vaseline or something.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I wish there was a sarcasm button so everyone would know to read it as such. Kind of like an exclamation point. Then you could use them together when you’re being excited and sarcastic.

Awesome!

See how much better that would’ve been with a symbol after it to show how sarcastic I was?

• paperlions - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Not necessary, anyone that thumbs that down understood it was sarcasm…they just don’t have a very well developed sense of humor.

• cohnjusack - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Meh, either you get the joy of sarcasm or you believe I think rubbing vaseline on a baseball makes a ball travel further. I enjoy both scenarios equally.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I know… I know.. I just hate letting fine sarcasm go unnoticed, and seeing other completely unaware of it. It also scares me to know at least 3 people that thumbed that down likely live in the same State as me, and I have to drive on the same roads as them. One day I’m going to be on the highway and the left blinker of the car in front of me is going to go on, when it should’ve been his right. After the accident the first question I’m going to ask is if he was posting here during Game 2 of the World Series.

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

At least when you put on your turn signal, those people won’t think you are doing it sarcastically.

2. Francisco (FC) - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

ADODIHH

• cur68 - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yep. Clutch ones. It’s his karma

3. happytwinsfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM

and now the bosox got an ex twin lefty going. what could go wrong with that?

• happytwinsfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM

told ja. sadomasochistic: sadtwinsfan.

4. tfbuckfutter - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Hmm.

I wonder if anyone has suggested that pitching to a DH instead of a pitcher might give the rookie at least a bit of trouble.

Although the kid pitched awesomely and I won’t take anything away from him for that.

• cohnjusack - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

2 runs over six innings with a tight strike zone (for both sides, no sour grapes here) against a team who ridiculous plate discipline. I think he did very well.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Yeah, and there were only a couple of ABs where the Sox really worked the count and fouled off pitches. His pitch count was up cause he didn’t have the pin-point control of his 4 previous outings. Even with his comparatively lack of command he dominated. If the Sox believe they have somehow “solved” him they may be in for a rude awakening in his next outing.

5. tfbuckfutter - Oct 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM

And now the lead is blown.

And who do we have to blame?

My fucking wife who was oblivious to the fact she was wearing Cardinal-red underwear. Jesus Christ.

I made her take them right the hell off.

Not that it did ME any good because now I’m mad at her and don’t care that she is going commando.

Sorry guys. I will punish her later.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

What’s the difference between Cardinal Red and BoSox Red? Could you post examples? Preferably with your wife’s underwear seeing that said garments are the cause of this uproar.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Asking someone to explain superstition is like asking Sarah Palin to explain anything.

It might be entertaining, but it isn’t going to come anywhere close to making sense, and the longer the explanation goes the sadder you feel for the person giving it.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Cardinal Red is more traditionally red.

6. joblessinyvr - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

A Blast???? More like a fly ball. Lucky to play in that gimmick park

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3439)