Oct 24, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
After unloading a bunch of talent and alienating their fanbase, the Marlins finished with the second-worst record in baseball this season at 62-100. We’ve seen a front office shakeup since the end of the year, with Michael Hill replacing Larry Beinfest as president of baseball operations and Dan Jennings taking over as general manager, but team president David Samson told Christina De Nicola of FOX Sports Florida today that he sees brighter days ahead. In fact, he promises it.
“We want to get out there and get going,” Samson said. “We’re getting ready for another season, and we’re going to win more. I promise you this: We’re not going to lose 100 games next year. Not close.”
You hear that? Not going to lose 100 games. Don’t call for season tickets all at once out there.
It’s hard to take any “promise” seriously with Jeffrey Loria meddling behind the scenes, but there’s no denying that Giancarlo Stanton, Jose Fernandez, and Christian Yelich give the Marlins an exciting young core. However, they don’t appear willing to spend on the extra parts to be competitive in the short-term and it’s hard to blame fans who believe that their young players will be headed elsewhere once they get expensive. Stanton will be arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, so he might be the first to go if the Marlins get an offer to their liking.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)