Oct 25, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
The Giants locked up right-hander Tim Lincecum to a two-year, $35 million contract on Tuesday. Via CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly, while he was contemplating his future prior to signing the deal, Lincecum thought about playing for the Seattle Mariners. Lincecum grew up in Washington, attending Liberty Senior High School in Renton, then playing for the Washington Huskies in college. Lincecum did say he would like to explore the opportunity later in his career.
Lincecum said he is “really, really, really happy” about returning to the Giants, per Hank Schulman. Lincecum will be a Giant through the 2015 season, when he will be 31 years old. He is trying to rebound from two bad seasons, finishing 2012 with a 5.18 ERA and 2013 with a 4.37 ERA. He said that his poor form recently is “not the way you want to go out”.
Over his seven-year career in San Francisco, Lincecum has posted a 3.46 ERA over 1,411.2 innings, winning the National League Cy Young award in back-to-back seasons in 2008-09 and earning two World Series rings in the process in 2010 and ’12.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)