Craig Breslow blogged about his rough Game 2 outing

Oct 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Craig Breslow Getty Getty Images

Red Sox reliever Craig Breslow has been filing regular blog posts for WEEI.com throughout the playoffs and the left-hander made no exception following last night’s ugly outing, writing a lengthy article trying to explain how it all went wrong.

An excerpt:

As complicated and complex as this game can be at times, it can also be incredibly simple. If you get a chance to make pitches, you have to make them. And on Thursday, in Game 2 of the World Series, I didn’t. …

In its simplest form, in black and white, I didn’t make pitches tonight. I’ve not made pitches in other situations. I feel like I need to be aware of what my shortcomings were, to make sure that I can move forward from it. But if given the same situation, I’d like to think the outcome could be better if I execute pitches.

Going forward, I’ll take a look at some of the pitches I made, some of the plays, and think about if I should have done anything differently, if there were any major mechanical problems I need to fix. Beyond that mental review of the outing, I need to take care of myself and get ready physically to pitch again in two days. Certainly, I want the opportunity to go back out there.

He also goes pitch-by-pitch through every at-bat–and his costly defensive miscue–and it’s pretty interesting stuff. I’m sure a lot of Red Sox fans are frustrated by Breslow today, but he’s been an excellent pitcher all season, his blog posts are actually really good reads, and taking the time to write a lengthy recap of a game he’d surely like to forget shows a lot of class.

1. cardsfan773 - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

An amazing amount of honesty from a pro athlete. No cookie cutter response here. Kids a hell of a pitcher. Errors happen. Just like Wednesday night. Hopefully the errors stop now and we get a good series. Go Cards.

2. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes, it rains. Think about that for a while.

• danaking - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

So long as there is no lollygagging.

3. sportsdrenched - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Those mean Cardinals were bullying him.

4. aceshigh11 - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Kudos to him.

I personally can’t imagine sitting down and writing so eloquently after a defeat to which you yourself contributed to.

Although I suppose, for some people, it would be a therapeutic way to work through the stress and disappointment.

Either way, really interesting, and a cool way to take responsibility.

5. sportsdrenched - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

On a serious note. Excellent blog. It’s great to have insight into the mind of professional athletes. Especially pitchers, on the largest stage for any reason, much less when something goes wrong in a huge spot.

6. Joe - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

He was gracious enough in saying that Johnny Gomes did everything he could in that situation, but that’s part of the problem with Johnny Gomes getting so much playing time. I don’t know if Daniel Nava creates a different outcome in that situation, but Gomes is a terrible outfielder. Half the time he lays himself out it’s for a can of corn that a competent fielder gets to easily.

7. joblessinyvr - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Of course red sox fans are pissed at Breslow. That’s what low class, low intelligence fans do. Throw their team under the bus if they mess up.

Boston Strong lol. Give me a break.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I guarantee I could say the same for any other fan base in the country, or the few outside of it. Low class? Look at what you just wrote. Trying to sum up an entire city because of your feelings towards a sports team? Throw their team under a bus if they mess up? You just threw an entire city under a bus and then used a rally cry that was invented as a way towards building unity through the city in the wake of a tragedy and laughed at it.

This was my nice response. What I really wanted to say would of probably been low class in your eyes, and I don’t want to give you any other reason to stereotype us. However, I can say, throwing someone under a bus was a large part of it. Figuratively, of course, “lol”.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester