Oct 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Red Sox reliever Craig Breslow has been filing regular blog posts for WEEI.com throughout the playoffs and the left-hander made no exception following last night’s ugly outing, writing a lengthy article trying to explain how it all went wrong.
As complicated and complex as this game can be at times, it can also be incredibly simple. If you get a chance to make pitches, you have to make them. And on Thursday, in Game 2 of the World Series, I didn’t. …
In its simplest form, in black and white, I didn’t make pitches tonight. I’ve not made pitches in other situations. I feel like I need to be aware of what my shortcomings were, to make sure that I can move forward from it. But if given the same situation, I’d like to think the outcome could be better if I execute pitches.
Going forward, I’ll take a look at some of the pitches I made, some of the plays, and think about if I should have done anything differently, if there were any major mechanical problems I need to fix. Beyond that mental review of the outing, I need to take care of myself and get ready physically to pitch again in two days. Certainly, I want the opportunity to go back out there.
He also goes pitch-by-pitch through every at-bat–and his costly defensive miscue–and it’s pretty interesting stuff. I’m sure a lot of Red Sox fans are frustrated by Breslow today, but he’s been an excellent pitcher all season, his blog posts are actually really good reads, and taking the time to write a lengthy recap of a game he’d surely like to forget shows a lot of class.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)