David Eckstein responds to “Parks and Recreation”

Oct 25, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT

Remember last week, when “Parks and Recreation” slipped in an amusing little baseball-themed Easter egg by naming a law office “Babip, Pecota, Vorp, and Eckstein”?

Well, here’s a video response from David Eckstein himself:

1. Francisco (FC) - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

His acting skills need some work (then again that’s not his profession), but maybe that was the whole point. A scrappy, gritty performance. It was entertaining.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No it is however his wife’s.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Meh…I don’t know FC. I thought his acting “skills” were right on par with the other ambulance chasing TV lawyers I see on late night/early morning television.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That’s why I said “but maybe that was the point.”

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Ahhh…you confused me. Which easily done. I thought you meant he was intentionally bad. I don’t think the ambulance chasing TV lawyers are intentionally bad. I just think they are bad. But point taken. I will try to do better next time. Lol!

2. ck101 - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I was never a big Eckstein fan, but anybody who’s willing to poke fun at himself like that is aces in my book.

• Cran Boy - Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Yes, that was the self-parody equivalent of safe headfirst dive into first. Definitely got his uniform dirtty.

3. moogro - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

He closed the book on his open heart.

4. DJ MC - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

David Eckstein is one of the biggest reasons I will bristle hard at the “stat nerds are robots” narrative that permeates through much baseball discussion. I would never call him a great player, because he wasn’t. And “scrappy” and “gritty” are pretty much nonsense terms. But, how can you not love the guy?

• clydeserra - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Not directed at you per se, but we all agree that FJM and “stat nerds” don’t hate eckstein, right? Its the sports writers narrative that a small white middle infielder is somehow better than what he is because he is “gritty” and “plays the right way.”

Who hat the highest batter fWAR on the championship angel team? Yeah, David Eckstein. (only .3 behind Washburn for the team lead, so essentially tied) (bWAR liked erstad better)

He was a good MLB player. wouldn’t hurt your team. The mocking was for the media forced narrative. Much like it is for the BFiB stuff now.

• Matthew Pouliot - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Eckstein was something of a stathead favorite before he reached the majors. OBPs of .407, .428 and .440 his first three minor league seasons, yet he wasn’t taken especially seriously as a prospect because of his size and subpar arm for SS. The Red Sox foolishly wrote him off because he was mediocre in his Triple-A debut, and the Angels grabbed him.

5. sandrafluke2012 - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

It will be interesting to see when Eckstein becomes HOF-eligible. He may just do it

6. yahmule - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

That was great.

• clydeserra - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

yeah, spot on.

7. hushbrother - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

This is great. Hats off to David.

8. racksie - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Yep. That’s a guy who doesn’t take himself too seriously. Well done, David!

9. bfunk1978 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Reminded me of Bob Loblaw at the beginning there. Awesome that he’s also got a great sense of humor about it.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Bob Loblaw no habla Español.

10. Carl Hancock - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Say what you want about Eckstein but he’s got a World Series ring from winning in both leagues and a World Series MVP trophy to go along with them while enjoying a 10 year career as a Major League ball player. So there’s not much of anything I can say negative about him when it comes to his baseball career.

• danaking - Oct 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Here’s a guy who made the most of the gifts he had. We can argue about his statistical value, but you have to root for him. (He’s always been a favorite of mine.)

11. bartis982 - Oct 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I’m still taking Saul Goodman.

12. jhaegs - Oct 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Dude looks like he’s 50yrs old all of a sudden. Are those liver spots??? Wasn’t he like 12 when he played for the Cards?

Three legends off to Cooperstown