Oct 25, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Bill Ladson of MLB.com reported yesterday that Matt Williams was the front-runner to replace Davey Johnson as Nationals manager and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Washington plans to hire the Diamondbacks third base coach.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo is hoping that Randy Knorr will agree to serve as Williams’ bench coach after filling the same role on Johnson’s staff and interviewing for the manager gig himself. Knorr was the candidate several Nationals players voiced support for publicly, so it could be a tricky situation potentially.
With zero big-league managing experience and a hard-nosed approach–he was on Kirk Gibson’s grit-filled staff in Arizona, after all–the 47-year-old Williams certainly appears to be a lot different than Johnson. He also played 17 seasons in the majors, appearing in six All-Star games and finishing runner-up for the MVP in 1994 before getting into coaching.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)