Oct 25, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT
Padres bench coach Rick Renteria interviewed for the Cubs manager job and as of last week he was being called the front-runner to land the gig by Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
However, today Greg Johns of MLB.com reports that Renteria also interviewed earlier this week to replace Eric Wedge as Mariners manager.
It’s hard to imagine someone taking the Mariners job over the Cubs job at this point, although obviously a little extra money thrown around by either team could sway things quite a bit.
But yeah: Rick Renteria, hot commodity.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 0
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 86
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 71
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)