Oct 25, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
Padres bench coach Rick Renteria interviewed for the Cubs manager job and as of last week he was being called the front-runner to land the gig by Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
However, today Greg Johns of MLB.com reports that Renteria also interviewed earlier this week to replace Eric Wedge as Mariners manager.
It’s hard to imagine someone taking the Mariners job over the Cubs job at this point, although obviously a little extra money thrown around by either team could sway things quite a bit.
But yeah: Rick Renteria, hot commodity.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)