Oct 25, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
Cardinals pitching staffs of the past, particularly under former pitching coach Dave Duncan, were famous for the prodigious rate at which they generated ground balls. The 2013 staff, however, will be known for young arm after young arm hitting the upper 90’s and even the 100’s on the radar gun. When closer Trevor Rosenthal shut down the Red Sox in 1-2-3 order in Game 2, he threw 11 pitches. All of them were fastballs. One was 95 MPH, one was 96, four were 97, four were 98, and one was 99. Good luck with that, hitters.
Illustrating just how hard Cardinals pitchers throw, ESPN’s Jayson Stark provides us with this:
[Molina] laughed and reached into his locker. He dug out his mitt. He held it up for his guests to see. At the top of the pocket, where his palm would be when holding it, the leather was so worn, it was torn. Ripped. Split.
And, he was asked, has that ever happened before — that he chewed threw two game mitts in the same season?
“Never,” he said. “First time.”
He had to ditch the first one at the All-Star break, he said. And that’s a first, too.
“It is,” he said. “These guys are throwing 98-99 [miles per hour]. But I don’t care about that.”
Stark adds in the article that six Cardinals pitchers averaged 93.5 MPH or higher on their fastballs according to Pitch F/X data: Rosenthal (97.3 MPH), Carlos Martinez (96.7), Kevin Siegrist (95.2), Joe Kelly (94.9), Shelby Miller (93.7), and Michael Wacha (93.5).
Oct 24, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Cardinals insisted there was nothing wrong with Adam Wainwright’s elbow and he wouldn’t require surgery.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Needs more Pixies. I have no idea which song, but any list needs more Pixies.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
And he wouldn’t wish it on anyone else.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Jeremy Guthrie vs. Tim Hudson.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Way to spoil all of our silly speculation, dude.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Loyalty in professional sports is kind of a silly concept.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The conventional wisdom is that the good-defense, low-power Royals aren’t hurt all that much by playing in AT&T Park. I tend to disagree with that.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
It would actually make a lot of sense.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
GM salaries are about to skyrocket.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Will he follow Andrew Friedman to Los Angeles?
Oct 24, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
The powerful and controversial drug is allowing Game 2’s hero to battle through shoulder pain.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Great Moments in Peanuts and Cracker Jack
Oct 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
For the second straight year we realize that Miguel Cabrera finished the season in way more pain than the Tigers had let on.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Quite the hot take from John McGrath of the Tacoma News-Tribune
Oct 24, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
A day later, Strickland has a better handle on how he mishandled things on Wednesday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
A man with a history of intentionally misstating the facts about stocks does so about baseball.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:13 AM EDT
We’re tied 1-1. I guess that doesn’t make Game 3 “crucial.” Maybe it makes it “pivotal.” Not sure. Gonna have to consult my baseball cliche dictionary.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Do you want to feel really old? OK, here goes.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
After stepping down as assistant general manager of the Nationals earlier this month, Bryan Minniti has accepted the same role with the Diamondbacks.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (118)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)